new tank.can i use the old fiilter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aawenwashere

Aquarium Advice Newbie
so i had a 20g tank with a small filter.. im starting a new tank and adding few new fishes.

can i put the old one in the neww tank with the new filter running at the same time to speed up the cycle?

if yes. can i put the fish and new fish in right now or soon?

my old filter is a small under water filter ..not sure how much baacteria it can bring to the new tank

Hi and welcome to AA!!. You could do that but it would be better if you could move the old media to the new filter. What type of filter is the new one??

Hi and welcome to AA!!. You could do that but it would be better if you could move the old media to the new filter. What type of filter is the new one??

the new one im getting is Eheim classic canister filter 250. and im planning to use both of the old and new filter in the new tank for a while for cycling

the new one im getting is Eheim classic canister filter 250. and im planning to use both of the old and new filter in the new tank for a while for cycling
You have three options...
1. Run both together(slowest)
2. Cut part of the old filter sponge and put it in with the bio-media in the Eheim(faster)
3. Put the whole 'old' sponge in with the bio-media of the Eheim(fastest).

Option 2+3 will speed up the cycle as it transfers BB to the new media. Most people who have a cycled tank, never have to cycle a new tank from scratch again because they transfer media from an 'cycled' filter....

Back
Top Bottom