New tank concerns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maltimomma

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 55g tank I set up on the 27th using a filter with loads of media. I've been testing the params daily and all was well so I added 4 rosy barbs and a bn. Yesterday afternoon I tested again and ammonia was what looked like a little more than 0.25. I did a 50% water change, but I'm wondering if I should move the fish back into my other 55g for now or just keep testing and doing pwc. Is 50% water change sufficient? Should I do pwc daily? Ph, nitrites and nitrates are all normal.

Maltimomma said:
I have a 55g tank I set up on the 27th using a filter with loads of media. I've been testing the params daily and all was well so I added 4 rosy barbs and a bn. Yesterday afternoon I tested again and ammonia was what looked like a little more than 0.25. I did a 50% water change, but I'm wondering if I should move the fish back into my other 55g for now or just keep testing and doing pwc. Is 50% water change sufficient? Should I do pwc daily? Ph, nitrites and nitrates are all normal.

Are you using the some of the filter media from your established tank to seed the new tank?

I would leave them in there and keep testing and doing water changes as needed until you filter catches up. As long as you can do water changes as needed, you are good to go!

I agree, it shouldn't last too long, the bacteria just need to adjust to the higher load and should do so within a few days, a week at most probably. The test kit will let you know how much water to change out; if ammonia is less than .5 I'd say a 50% pwc is sufficient. Just test daily and do water changes as needed and it should be fine in a bit.

I tested this morning and it looks like its 0.25. But my ammonia level in my established tank has always looked like 0.25 to me. I find it hard to tell the difference between the yellow and the green on that card as it always looks like a tinge of green in the tube.

I tested this morning and it looks like its 0.25. But my ammonia level in my established tank has always looked like 0.25 to me. I find it hard to tell the difference between the yellow and the green on that card as it always looks like a tinge of green in the tube.

i struggle with the colours too, i end to hold em next to my tank bulb which helps a load with determining the colours :)

Back
Top Bottom