New tank cycle with shrimp or live rock and sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lawdawg18

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm working on setting up my new 150, I'm hoping to FINALLY get the sump finished and plumbed in this week, and maybe get some water in this weekend. When it comes time to the cycle should I go with the shrimp method listed on some of the forums, or just add live rock as suggested by serveral LFS owners?
I'm going to order LR from Liverocks.com and I don't want to loose any critters due to cycle. I was thinking cycle with the shrimp then add my Liverock. But all the LFS say just add the live rock and live sand and it will cycle a new tank.

Any suggestions?

Jason

personally I agree with your theory... establishing some bacteria first should mean the LR will cycle very quickly and with minimal spikes, thus preserving the life that you have left.

but then I'm a newbie and don't know for sure myself.

I cycled my LR right in the tank with the sand. Took a day to cycle.. no die off... I got my rock from liverocks.com as well... Lost nothing. I had heated salted water ready to be pumped in the tank.. tossed in the rock, then the sand then water.. that night I put in 6 Chromis and over the year I have lost 2 Chromis... My cycle was quick !

Agree with XXFirefighter, I cured my tank with LR and sand. It was a quick cycle and I have never had an issue with water quality. As long as you use the fishless cycle, you can't go wrong and IMO LR is the best way.

The LFS people I have talked to said that putting the LR and LS in the tank was the fastest way to cycle. I figured they said this in order to sell me more expensive LR. I also worried I would loose all the little critters that comes with LR. I guess if the levels get too high I can do a water change and help them survive it.
Jason

Any critters that made it through the shipping process, should be OK in new salt mix. The rock is shipped wrapped in wet cloth in a bag and is sometime out of the water for several days.
Using LR.com product would be the way to go. They ship their rock overnight, so there is limited die off and thus a minimal ammonia spike. I recieved many little critter on my rock that survived just fine.

Thanks for the info.
I'll get the plumbing and such finished, fill it will saltwater let it run for a day or so and place my LR.com order. I can't wait to get this new tank started. I know the 3 tangs, imperator angel, maroon clown, Chromis, and the Coral rock beauty that are all packed in the 55 won't know what to do with their new spacious home.

I had a very short cycle time too with cured live rocks. Like less than three days. But I had a lot of problems after that.

When I start a new tank some time in the future I think I will take the long route.

Well I did not cycle my marine tank.Some LFS where I live have saltwater you can buy and it already has a enourmous amount of bacteria.So try and find a LFS that has this option. :D

Some LFS where I live have saltwater you can buy and it already has a enourmous amount of bacteria
The bacteria don't live in the water column. They are on the lr and ls.
Save some cash. start the cycle with 1/2 the amount of base rock ($!/lb) needed. Add a shrimp. Wait like 2 weeks and then order lr. In a few months you won't be able to tell which rocks are which

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom