New Tank Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GanaM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

I'm setting up a new, bigger tank and want to start a fishless cycle. Problem is, pure Ammonia is a controlled substance in Australia so I can't purchase it at all! I have a healthy established tank and was going to use some filter media from it, though I've changed to a fluval canister filter instead of a hanging one. Here are my questions:

1. I thought I could just add some gravel and media in a nylon stocking to seed the tank after I treat the water ? I have also purchased API live nitrifying bacteria but am not sure whether to use it.

2. If I add filter media and it establishes, won't there need to be a source of ammonia to make sure the levels are stable?

3. My second question is - how will I provide a source of ammonia without pure ammonia? I've read conflicting opinions about using fish food and raw shrimp. I have 40 gallon tank by the way. If I use fish food - how much of it?

I'm not keen at all on adding hardy fish to the tank for a fish cycle.

Thanks for your help !
G.

Put raw shrimp in your nylon stocking. If you use fish food do a pinch every 3 days. If you do fish food make sure you do substrate vacs and partial water changes. Then dose your ammonia back up.

Hello G...

Get some gravel from a tank at the local fish store. The fish store is typically very willing to help in case you want to buy something from them in the future. Just mix the gravel into the bottom material of your new tank and you've instantly cycled it. Just add fish slowly and test the water in the new tank every day or two to make sure the bacteria is working. There's no need to mess with ammonia or anything like that.

B

Back
Top Bottom