new tank doing a fishless cycle - first time

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I gave in to the want everything now crowd!! ordered me 4 angels plus active filters - they should be here in a few days. I am going to put 3 in the large 90 gallon that I am doing a fishless on and then the other one I will put in the 20 gallon that I am doing the fish in cycle on. I think I am almost done on the 5 gallon.

so... still checking the tank and still no signs of change.
temp - 87.1
ammonia - 2.0
Nitrites - 0
PH - 7.6
nitrAtes - 5

LOL!! It sounds like a great plan! Lets leave tthe amm be until we see some movement. :)

Last edited:
90 gallon - first time fishless cycle

well, looks like I am finally seeing some movement.
temp - 86.5
ammonia - 1.5
nitrite - 0
PH - 7.6

so, do I dose up the ammonia or just wait until it drops a little more?

Go ahead & dose amm- just small amount to get it just to 4 (or even a touch less). Glad to see some progress!! :)

so I went ahead and dosed it back up to about 3 - 3.5ppm we will see how it does tomorrow. thanks for all the help! maybe with any luck my new filters will arrive on Monday

so I went ahead and dosed it back up to about 3 - 3.5ppm we will see how it does tomorrow. thanks for all the help! maybe with any luck my new filters will arrive on Monday

OK dosed the tank up yesterday and today it is reading pretty good.
temp - 87.1
ammonia - 2.0
Nitrite - 0
PH - 7.6

wait another day and let the ammonia drop to close to 1.0ppm before I redose? that is my plan at least.

thngs aren't moving very fast ...
temp - 87.4
ammonia - 2.0
Nitrites - 0

I think I will wait until it drops a little more before I add more ammonia. sound good? hoefully my new filters will arrive soon and that will speed things along

found out my filters shipped on monday, so with any luck they will arrive tomorrow. I hope they arrive soon! so on the good side, I think things are starting to move along in the tank. saw just a hint of nitrites...
temp - 87.4
ammonia - 1.75
nitritie - .05
PH - 7.6
so I went ahead and dosed the tank again and now I am back up to maybe 3.0 or 3.5ppm

angels filters arrived

Yay!! my filters arrived and I have stuffed, and stuffed, and stuffed my filters with the new stuff (in addition to what I already have in there). I am really having trouble fitting it all in :hide:. so I am running two aquaclear 110s on the 90 gallon tank. I have the big sponge that came with it, then lots of the new active black filter that I just bought and then on top I am trying to get those little ceramic guys in there. there just isn't enough room!! I didn't do a very good job when I first got the filter because I cut the bag too short (realized this very quickly when I tried to put it in the filter - too bulky). so should I try and get me a couple more of the mesh bags? can I just open the bag up and spread them around the filter area? Help!! some of the top of the ceramic guys are not under water. they need to be underwater right??

Yes, all the filter media needs to stay wet. Manage the best you can to try & fit stuff in the filters. If you cant, you can tie some filter foam stuff around the bottoms of the uptake tubes (so theres water flow through them) or use an air pump & tubing & stick them in filters. Or you can place filters on top of anything bubbling. Try your best! (im having computer issues here in the event i dont respond- you can ask Librarygirl for help as well!) :)

OK, I went out and bought me another mesh bag. squished some more filter media down and I think I got all the stuff covered. yay!!
water testing results:
ammonia - 2.0
Nitrite - .15
PH - 7.6

so since I added the new filter media and reorganized my filters etc I figured I would wait until tomorrow to add more ammonia. then should I dose it back up to 4.0ppm?

Thats fine that you didnt dose amm yet! Lets start off with a 2ppm dose & see how the filters work on conversion without overwhelming the bacteria. We can then gradually increase the amm each day from 2ppm to 4ppm & allow the bacteria adjust accordingly. Look forward to seeing how things progress! :)

And now with the Angels Plus active filter installed...

ok, so I put all the new filter media in yesterday and was very excited to see what the tank would do today. I really think it is making a difference! :D
temp - 86.7
Ammonia - 1.5
Nitrites - .5
PH - 7.6
Nitrate - 30

that was a big jump in the Nitrites from yesterday - not too much movement on the Ammonia
so should I dose it up to 2.5 -3.0ppm?

Sorry for the confusion- use the same dose you used yesterday! We dont want to overwhelm the new bacteria with a hefty dose of amm- lets let them settle in & work on increasing it over the next few days so they can adjust upwards gradually.

wow! things are really picking up here! OK, so yesterday I dosed 15ml of ammonia
tested water today:
temp - 86.9
ammonia - 1.0 (maybe .75)
Nitrite - 2.0
ph 7.4

looks like PH is dropping some, Nitrites are high. not sure I can really tell the difference between the 2.0 and the 5.0 I will attach a couple of photos - maybe you can help me out on this one. In the long run I know it doesn't really matter cuz with fish i will NEVER see this color of purple!! lol

how much should I dose today? I know at least the 15ml that i did yesterday. should I add more?

Back
Top Bottom