New tank first readings...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking good. Personally, I'd do a 50% water change. Continue dosing ammonia for one more week and make sure you get the same readings at the end of the week.

Ok I’ll do that tomorrow. There’s a chance it might alter then?

Your nitrates are a little high at the moment. So cut them in half with a 50% water change. If you are adding an ammonia source every day for a week and you are still showing 0 ammonia and 0 nitrite but your nitrates have increased then you know your tanks cycling.

Just remember, before you add fish, do a few large water changes to bring that nitrate down to around 5 or 10 then add your fish.

You could let it go all week. Just test at day 7 before your water change. I edited my last post and added a little more about lowering nitrates before adding fish.

I'm guessing you already know you should be changing 33%-50% of your water weekly after you add fish.

Yeah, to keep the nitrates down. I’ll hold off from adding any fish for another week to ensure the tank is fully cycling. I’ll test after 7 days, saves wasting the liquid in the test bottles. Thanks King Fisher

21 days since I set tank up. 50% water change today, and these are the readings. So I’ll test again in 7 days and hopefully the only difference should be the nitrates have spiked? IMG_0846.jpg

That's correct. Nitrates should be higher and zeroed out on ammonia and nitrites. Test on day 7 before your water change.

Me again lol. So it’s been a week since I last tested and did a 50% water change. Only thing that has increase is the nitrates. Looks like my tank has cycled. I’m looking to do 75% water change next and start stocking with fish. :)IMG_0860.jpg

Awesome!! Looks like you are at 80ppm on nitrates. I'd do a 75% water change then another 75%. That should put you at around 5ppm before you add fish. Good starting point.

Done that and just added 3 black fin corys to start. Just need to decided exactly what else I want now.

Back
Top Bottom