New tank / fish set-up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KittyKatFishGrl

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello, Im new to AA and the world of fish care... I have a few questions.. I have a 10G, Aqueon filter, 50w heater, cycled tank and 7 fish;

2 Albino Cories
2 Yellow Male Guppies
3 Tetra Glofish

They all seem to get along for the most part but the biggest of the glofish chases the other glofish and guppies sometimes - from research I believe this is just their way of playing but I don't know for sure - should I be worried?

I have noticed the smaller of my male guppies stays hidden at the bottom of the tank away from all the other fish, most of the others are on the right side of the tank hanging out.

I also was wondering if I have overcrowded my tank.

Thanks in advance, I welcome all advice. :thanks:

The Tetras are Skirt Tetras...I find them to be hardy, but nippy. The Guppy hiding out sounds stressed.
10g does not give a lot of room for getting away.

Do you have plants ?

Most Tetras and Cories do best in groups of 6 or more. A 10g doesn't have room for that unless you do Nano species (1" or near that as adults).

Consider returning Tetras and adding something that won't pick on Guppies.

Skirt Tetras can get 2.5"

If you really want the Tetras, maybe return the Guppies
and Cories and just do 5-6 Tetras. But even that is pushing it IMHO.

I prefer a 20g minimum for all "Glo"'species. Zebra Danios are super busy and need room.

A 10g is marketed as a beginner tank...but most fish don't fit it long term.

I love my 10g. But I do Shrimp tanks or a Betta or Nano species.

I hope your fish mellow out.
Enjoy your tank no matter what fish you end up with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I woke up to find my guppies passing a white poo-like substance & 1 of my neons passing white pellets while my other neon is passing tan-brown poo - feeding flakes & shrimp pellets..

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom