New tank, help interpreting water tests.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sick lid

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a new 10 gal tank with declorinated water, a heater (temp 78F), T5 light, sand and gravel substrate, air bubbler with a sponge/foam filter.

The tank as been running for under a week (5 days).

I have a young pygmy pleco (.5 inch) in the tank to start the nitrification cycle. I've been feeding it one small pellet a day.

I put in a quick-start solution from Petco on day 3 of the tank. Before I put in the quick-start there was almost imperceptible ammonia (0.5 ppm) but no detectable nitrites or nitrate. I did not test the pH.

Today (day 5) the tank has 1 ppm ammonia, 0.5 ppm nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate as well as a pH of 7.8.

My tap water has for the past 5 years had an "EDTA" hardness of ~25 ppm, which I think but am not sure is around 7 dH hardness.

Does this mean the quick-start worked? Should I do a water change since the levels, in aggregate, are possibly high for the pleco?

P.S. I am aware that 10 gallons is not a happy size for a full grown bristlenose. He will not be staying in this tank until adulthood.

Just an addition: I did a 50% water change because of the ammonia and nitrite presence, "low" as they were. I am going to start feeding the pleco twice a day (he seems hungry enough to try) and figure worst comes to worst the extra ammonia will help with the bacteria in the tank. That is, unless someone corrects me.

I would say do 10% water change every other day and don't feed him twice that would hurt him and I also suggest buying a API master test kit to monitor the parameter accordingly. More experienced people can chime in :D

I agree with the above. Pretty sure any amount of ammonia is still toxic. You don't need to feed your fish extra as it will produce enough ammonia for the cycle me thinks

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay duly noted. I will update with water parameters with the API testing kit sometime near in the future, I won't feed the pleco twice a day, and I will do 10% water changes on a bi-daily basis.

Back
Top Bottom