new tank need info

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cichless

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm starting a brand new tank 29 gallon. Had a 55 gallon 7 years sgo. Starting one up again but forgot the chemicals to us. PH is 8.0 right now water temp is 78 and dechorinated water so far.

Get some Prime, let it cycle..good to go. What kind of fish you planning on? Ph will affect that decision.

Take a look at this link. It will give you a tutorial on exactly how to do a fishless cycle.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

The only chemical you should need would be either prime or stress coat. Most people go with prime due to the cost but it's up to you since they both work well. It's better to do things with as few additives to the tank as possible.

Also, pH doesn't really matter much to fish as long as it's stable and you aren't trying to keep a sensitive fish like discus.

Technically you shouldn't need to use any chemicals to cycle a tank but dechlorinator means you don't have to let a bucket of tap water sit until the chorine/chloramines have dissipated.

I'm starting a brand new tank 29 gallon. Had a 55 gallon 7 years sgo. Starting one up again but forgot the chemicals to us. PH is 8.0 right now water temp is 78 and dechorinated water so far.

Ive had great luck in my 29 gallon tank with Tetra Safe Start, its a good BB Product that does show results, everyone says not to use a chem to help the tank cycle, i say hog wash, just be choosey about what product you use, like i said i can recommend Tetra Safe Start, but even with these products some water changes will be required, its not a cycle in a bottle, but it will help to rapidly cycle your tank

i will say this tho, i dont use like any chems now. i use prime for my water, i use some ferts for my plants and a co2 booster and thats about it, other than the bottle of tetra i used with initial set up

Ive had great luck in my 29 gallon tank with Tetra Safe Start, its a good BB Product that does show results, everyone says not to use a chem to help the tank cycle, i say hog wash, just be choosey about what product you use, like i said i can recommend Tetra Safe Start, but even with these products some water changes will be required, its not a cycle in a bottle, but it will help to rapidly cycle your tank

A lot of people use this, but most of the time it does nothing but give misleading results. Someone on here used it, saw a 2.0 ppm drop in ammonia, and than nothing for 5 weeks. So it can help, and normally doesn't hurt, but it rarely helps at all. I'm glad it helped you though! (y)

Many have had success with bio spira (I think) and Dr.Tim's one and only something or other. Someone might know what the something is.

Tetra safe start was reformulated with bio spira bacteria : ) not sure if this is new formula or not but perhaps its why it worked, because they remade it

Removing the any carbon and turning off any UV sterilzer for at least 48 to 72 hours after adding any bottle bacteria is important in making it work/settle as it allows the bacteria to settle in the right places and not be removed by carbon or killed by uv, many people I talk to forget to do this and they have failure with the bottle bacteria

Carbon doesn't do anything to bacteria. The UV sterilizer is a good point though even though it should never be used on a cycling tank to begin with.

Indeed I read in a few places to remove carbon and filter pad as it will cause the Bb to colonize on the pad which is a waste since the pads have to be changed

Indeed I read in a few places to remove carbon and filter pad as it will cause the Bb to colonize on the pad which is a waste since the pads have to be changed

the pads only need to be changed ever 6+ months. when i buy filter pads, for a few of my tanks, i cut them open and empty the carbon out. they only say you need to replace it often, because they want to make money. all you need to do is rinse it in tank water, once a month

Back
Top Bottom