New tank, not sure which fish to get

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

picture_117

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I decided to get my old 10 gallon tank back out of the garage. I wanted to get new fish but I'm not sure if they are compatible with each other or if they should be living in the same tank, any help? :D

What kind of fish are you hoping to get?

You have a lot of options are smart to think about compatibility before you stock.

Are you going to fishless cycle?

Welcome to AA!

First off, read about fishless cycling... you don't want to fill the tank up and just dump fish in.

Tips and tricks for your fastest fishless cycle!

What kind of fish are you interested in? There are a lot of options for a 10gal tank... but there are also a lot of fish that should not go in a 10gal despite what the fish store might tell you... goldfish and angelfish off the top of my head don't belong in a tank that small.

Many danios, tetras, and other small, non-aggressive schooling fish are great in a 10gal tank.

Hi,
Thank you for the quick replies. I have started the tank and it is running like it should but with no fish, I'm going to go buy test strips to see what I need to do.

I wanted to get Scissortail Rasbora, Zebra Dianos, Skirt Tetra, and a Placo.
Are any of those not going to work?

Do yourself a favor and get a liquid drop test kit instead of test strips.

It is a little more expensive but they are way more accurate and reliable.

The fish you like will probably be fine together, though black skirts can be nippy. Also, make sure you get a variety of pleco that won't outgrow your tank. Bristlenose are probably the easiest to find.

Can't wait to see what you do!

Yes I purchased this kit
live-meter-master-fresh-water-test-kit.jpg
, I already have it set up, now to wait.

Back
Top Bottom