New tank plans: guppy questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SassyHippo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, I’m brand new here and new to the aquarium life. I really want to start a small tank in my bedroom. Looking at a 15 gallon that I want to stock with guppies(6), Corydoras(2), and 1 betta. I think I’ve just about figured everything out except 1 little detail. I have a water treatment system and very soft water. My head is spinning trying to u defat and how to harden it for the guppies especially. Then I need a plan to keel it that way through water changes and everything.
Thoughts? Advice? I haven’t even bought the tank yet so I’m still in planning phase.
Thanks in advance!!

Don't put guppies and a betta in the same tank. There will be fighting.
Up your corydoras to 4-5
If you want fish with your betta try a smaller schooling tetra. Ember tetras, smaller rasboras, neon/cardinal tetras are all good choices.

Don't put guppies and a betta in the same tank. There will be fighting.
Up your corydoras to 4-5
If you want fish with your betta try a smaller schooling tetra. Ember tetras, smaller rasboras, neon/cardinal tetras are all good choices.
I can leave the betta out. That’s not a big deal. As of now I only have 1 betta and he has his own place which he’s staying in. I do like tetras as well and dream of a larger tank in one of the living rooms for those. I actually do love the idea of increasing the corydoras too.
Thank you so much for the advice.

Corydoras do better in larger groups, you'll see more activity out of them that way. Why not skip the 15g and go for a 20g long tank to start?

Corydoras do better in larger groups, you'll see more activity out of them that way. Why not skip the 15g and go for a 20g long tank to start?
To be honest in my bedroom I’m really wanting the Fluval flex. Of course ultimately I’m not wanting to mistreat any fish that go in there so if I need to adjust who I’m putting in there I’m content with that.
I want a larger tank in the living room though. A 20 long just wouldn’t work as well in the space I’m wanting this.
How about no betta and increase the corydoras to 5 or 6?

That stocking is fine.
Just keep in mind that an all male guppy tank might fight, male/female tank will breed like crazy, all females may already be pregnant/are less flashy than the males.

Yeah that’s exactly why I was wanting all males. I’m now looking into Pygmy corydoras as an alternative to the pandas since I don’t want a large tank in my bedroom. Thank you

Pygmys are awesome little fish, I have 12 in a 10g
Just be sure that they are healthy and not teeny as I have found them to be a little frailer if they are skinny or smaller

Back
Top Bottom