New tank possibly for cherry red shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cloud Chalk

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hiya my name is Jodie.

I want to set up a brand new shrimp tank. (Red Cherry Shrimp) I have a small beta tank at the moment but I am still completely new to this hobby.

I want to keep the shrimp in this large vase if possible, I have drawn a very rough design on paint so you can see my idea. So basically have substrate in the lower section of the vase in the middle and plant moss balls there and maybe some other plants, have sand/gravel/nothing? (not sure which is best) around the outer part of the base to level off the floor. Have a piece of driftwood either at the back or over the moss (depending on what i can find) in the bottom part of the tank, then have long tall plants to go up the center of the tall tube part of the vase (maybe also a slim piece of drift wood that i could attach moss too so the shrimp cam climb up those parts) And then have a filter in the bottom at the back and a bubble wand too.

Would this set up be ok for shrimp? And if not would it suit any other kind of aqua life? I really want to set this vase up as some kind of tank. The glass is thick and I have tested it before with a heater in and it was just fine. (Originally i brought this for my beta but I was told it would be unsuitable as he is a surface dweller and left him in his current tank)

If this design would work could you please tell me exactly (if possible) what I need to buy to best have this type of set up (Which plants, which brand of substrate/sand, what type of wood etc, which brand of bubble wands/filters, do I need any type of heater/cooler (Tried to look it up online but got mixed views on a lot of stuff) And what brand shall I buy for food as I have read some shrimp made foods are not actually suitable.

Also I have read up on the nitrogen cycle and I think I understand it but I am still unsure of what I would actually need to do with the tank day by day?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :fish2:

Attachments

• 2013-05-23 12.13.59.jpg
    2013-05-23 12.13.59.jpg
    198.2 KB · Views: 144
  • 2013-05-23 12.14.13.jpg
    2013-05-23 12.14.13.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 139
  • 2013-05-23 12.14.42.jpg
    2013-05-23 12.14.42.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 152
  • planted shrimp tank idea.jpg
    planted shrimp tank idea.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 147
Hiya my name is Jodie.

I want to set up a brand new shrimp tank. (Red Cherry Shrimp) I have a small beta tank at the moment but I am still completely new to this hobby.

I want to keep the shrimp in this large vase if possible, I have drawn a very rough design on paint so you can see my idea. So basically have substrate in the lower section of the vase in the middle and plant moss balls there and maybe some other plants, have sand/gravel/nothing? (not sure which is best) around the outer part of the base to level off the floor. Have a piece of driftwood either at the back or over the moss (depending on what i can find) in the bottom part of the tank, then have long tall plants to go up the center of the tall tube part of the vase (maybe also a slim piece of drift wood that i could attach moss too so the shrimp cam climb up those parts) And then have a filter in the bottom at the back and a bubble wand too.

Would this set up be ok for shrimp? And if not would it suit any other kind of aqua life? I really want to set this vase up as some kind of tank. The glass is thick and I have tested it before with a heater in and it was just fine. (Originally i brought this for my beta but I was told it would be unsuitable as he is a surface dweller and left him in his current tank)

If this design would work could you please tell me exactly (if possible) what I need to buy to best have this type of set up (Which plants, which brand of substrate/sand, what type of wood etc, which brand of bubble wands/filters, do I need any type of heater/cooler (Tried to look it up online but got mixed views on a lot of stuff) And what brand shall I buy for food as I have read some shrimp made foods are not actually suitable.

Also I have read up on the nitrogen cycle and I think I understand it but I am still unsure of what I would actually need to do with the tank day by day?

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :fish2:

There is no way to fit a filter or heater in that shape. Just run to petsmart or sown thing and spend 20$ on a kit

Or this from amazon it's a good price

5 gal tank 25$

http://amzn.to/18hbt1p

Also how would you clean or place any decorations down in there it's tiny

There is no way to fit a filter or heater in that shape. Just run to petsmart or sown thing and spend 20$ on a kit

Or this from amazon it's a good price

5 gal tank 25$

Amazon.com: Aquarius Aq15005 Aquarius 5 Rounded 5-Gallon Aquarium Kit: Pet Supplies

Also how would you clean or place any decorations down in there it's tiny

Not sure if my last post worked or not.. I have managed to get a heater and filter in there before, the vase is pretty massive! I live in the UK so im not sure they would ship that to me. I don't really want to buy a new tank, I just want to know if any aqua life could live in here happily? You cant really tell the size from the pics but its bigger than it looks, Its roughly a 12 gallon tank maybe a bit more.

You could easily fit a small sponge filter in that container.

Have it centralised so the bubbles carry upwards toward the opening and don't create air pockets.

Maybe build up a small well shape with rocks and slip the filter into it.

Then attach some tall fake plants to the air lines to mask the tubes.

As for heater, with such a small amount of space I would say a fully submersible heater that you can sink an keep in place (suction cups?).

Then all you'd have to figure out would be planting and lighting.

You could easily fit a small sponge filter in that container.

Have it centralised so the bubbles carry upwards toward the opening and don't create air pockets.

Maybe build up a small well shape with rocks and slip the filter into it.

Then attach some tall fake plants to the air lines to mask the tubes.

As for heater, with such a small amount of space I would say a fully submersible heater that you can sink an keep in place (suction cups?).

Then all you'd have to figure out would be planting and lighting.

Oh wow really, and then red cherry shrimp would be happy in there? Do you have any recommendations for plants/equipment? (names/brands etc)

Thankyou :)

Oh wow really, and then red cherry shrimp would be happy in there? Do you have any recommendations for plants/equipment? (names/brands etc)

I'm going to the pet store tomorrow so if you could give me a check list of everything I need and a basic idea of how to do the set up that would be really amazing :) Thanks again

If you put some live plants (mosses and java ferns) then RCS would love it.

This is a mini sponge filter, you'll need and air pump and a bit of tubing, but it's small and compact enough for filter the wastes from just RCS;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B0058HLV8K

This is a pre-set heater, it's fully submersible and quite cheap really.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00850GL7S/ref=mw_dp_mpd?pd=1

Lighting is up to you...

I use marina led spotlight for my small projects (£7 each) and a 3 way hub (£15).

They are fully submersible and rotating so you can position them and use the suction cups to stick em in place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000HHM0TK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1369336436&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000HHNZ2Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1369336436&sr=8-4&pi=SL75
As for plants...

Well, for the plants around the tubing. I'd go with some plastic plants attached with come cotton or maybe super glue?

Live plants, mosses and java fern are readily available on this site for a fair price, and with a little bit of effort (and some long items to help you move em round) you can plant this jar quite well.

Maybe something like this?

Attachments

• image-3172090782.jpg
    image-3172090782.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 140

This is a mini sponge filter, you'll need and air pump and a bit of tubing, but it's small and compact enough for filter the wastes from just RCS;

Lighting is up to you...

I use marina led spotlight for my small projects (£7 each) and a 3 way hub (£15).

They are fully submersible and rotating so you can position them and use the suction cups to stick em in place.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000HHM0TK/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?qid=1369336436&sr=8-2&pi=SL75

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000HHNZ2Q/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?qid=1369336436&sr=8-4&pi=SL75
As for plants...

Well, for the plants around the tubing. I'd go with some plastic plants attached with come cotton or maybe super glue?

Live plants, mosses and java fern are readily available on this site for a fair price, and with a little bit of effort (and some long items to help you move em round) you can plant this jar quite well.

Oh wow thank you so much that's amazing :D I'll be sure to post pics once its up, as a basic guide I'm guessing I put all the plants/filters/etc in first, add the water (tap water?) turn on the filter/heater. and then what products do you recommend to cycle the tank ready for the shrimp? I have a basic idea of how the cycle works im just not sure what I actually have to do day by day?

thanks again for your help this is great!

Oh wow thank you so much that's amazing :D I'll be sure to post pics once its up, as a basic guide I'm guessing I put all the plants/filters/etc in first, add the water (tap water?) turn on the filter/heater. and then what products do you recommend to cycle the tank ready for the shrimp? I have a basic idea of how the cycle works im just not sure what I actually have to do day by day?

thanks again for your help this is great!

For just shrimp you won't really need to cycle the tank lol.

But maybe snag a bit of the gravel out of the tank they're in a the store.

Just add water conditioner and you're set :)

For just shrimp you won't really need to cycle the tank lol.

But maybe snag a bit of the gravel out of the tank they're in a the store.

Just add water conditioner and you're set :)

Oh wow ok, and the plants will be ok too?

Lighting is up to you...

As for plants...

How are they going to get down in there and arrange things ? It's so little the amount they will spend on a filter and what not they could buy a nice 5 gallon tank

Maintaining this will be difficult that's all I can think. Shrimp mault and shed their exoskeletons

Yes they do shed, but if you're hinting that they should be removed then you shouldn't be giving advice on shrimp till you research a little first tbh.

As for how they will reach the tank bottom...

I had a 25 litre jar with a tiny opening, about 2" across, and I used some knitting needles and a wire coat hanger to arrange the plants/rocks.

The filter will sit perfectly in the middle, the bubbles will create water movement and it will need very little maintaining (plant maintenance mostly).

Pwc will be the same as they are now, a hose will reach the bottom and by placing some fine mesh over the end, you'll avoid sucking up shrimp that way.

People like to try new things, regular box aquariums can be quite boring really.

Yes they do shed, but if you're hinting that they should be removed then you shouldn't be giving advice on shrimp till you research a little first tbh.

I found out they do the other day I know they just eat it after words because that's what mine did I thought I lost a ghost shrimp but he just maulted

As for how they will reach the tank bottom...

I had a 25 litre jar with a tiny opening, about 2" across, and I used some knitting needles and a wire coat hanger to arrange the plants/rocks.

The filter will sit perfectly in the middle, the bubbles will create water movement and it will need very little maintaining (plant maintenance mostly).

Pwc will be the same as they are now, a hose will reach the bottom and by placing some fine mesh over the end, you'll avoid sucking up shrimp that way.

People like to try new things, regular box aquariums can be quite boring really.

What's the size difference between a red cherry and ghost because I have 2 ghost in my 20 gallon. I know I don't know much about the topic but I was trying to recommend that the 5 gallon tank with a filter and a light hood would have been a good option easier to maintain

A ghost shrimp can get to around 2" whereas RCS get to around 1 1/2".

But I've not seen an RCS get to that full size in my aquaria. They stay fairly small.

But that 1/2" in size in huge when it comes to shrimps lol.

In all honesty, it just not what you'll be happy with eventually. Yes, it could support a few shrimp with proper maintenance. BUT ... I can predict what generally happens.

You'll put a few RCS in there and will see them crawling, swimming around and you'll want more. Your going to look up or come across other members shrimp tanks and you'll feel what you have just doesn't cut it. You'll see tanks with DW, more rocks and plants than you'll be able to accommodate, and you'll see that aquascaping with that shape will become annoying. BUT, you'll want to reaarange things so you'll put up with the hassle until one day you end up upgrading. I'd say invest in a 5gallon tank. BUT again, this is just my prediction.

BTW, also note that RCS breed like rabbits if you start with a male and female.

In all honesty, it just not what you'll be happy with eventually. Yes, it could support a few shrimp with proper maintenance. BUT ... I can predict what generally happens.

You'll put a few RCS in there and will see them crawling, swimming around and you'll want more. Your going to look up or come across other members shrimp tanks and you'll feel what you have just doesn't cut it. You'll see tanks with DW, more rocks and plants than you'll be able to accommodate, and you'll see that aquascaping with that shape will become annoying. BUT, you'll want to reaarange things so you'll put up with the hassle until one day you end up upgrading. I'd say invest in a 5gallon tank. BUT again, this is just my prediction.

BTW, also note that RCS breed like rabbits if you start with a male and female.

I posted her a decent 5 gal earlier glad someone else agrees

Back
Top Bottom