New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gsxrated98

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm on my very first tank, and I knew/know really nothing about this hobby.
I have a 20gal W/ 6 small Barbs in it. I didn't know anything about cycling a tank, or doing fishless cycles. After reading more and more, I'm wondering if I haven't really messed up.

I took a baseline of my tank before I put the fish in this past Tuesday.
PH - 7.6
AM - 0
NI - 0
NA - 0

I just tested the water again a little while ago.
PH - 7.5
AM - .25
NI - 0
NA - 0

I understand why the numbers are the way they are.
What is worrying me is, what kind of damage am I going to do to the fish, if they live, while the bacteria builds in tank?
Is there a way to help naturally speed up the bacteria growth with the fish in the tank, with out hurting them?

Thanks.

Just do water changes anytime ammonia and nitrite get above .25 and keep nitrate below 20 the fish will be fine. People do fish in cycles all the time, even though it's frowned upon

They sell products to stabilize new tanks. Some even say they can fully cycled a tank in 4 days... Idk if that's true or not but some reputable company's do sell live bacteria in a bottle that I have used and do help speed up the process..

You can seed some media from someone with an well established tank or maybe your lfs will be nice to give you some media....

Back
Top Bottom