New tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nightowl66

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started a 20 long a couple weeks ago. I used eco complete and ro water, my well water isn’t good. I have current satellite pro led light. Also a few plants, a couple small Amazon sword and Anubias. I don’t want to do co2. My ph is 7.6, ammonia .25, nitrite and nitrate both 0. I don’t have a kit for gh and kh. Do I need one since I’m using ro water?
Also what kinds of ferts should I get? It’s been 15 plus years since I had a aquarium, I forgot a lot.
Thanks for any help.

Are you remineralizing your RO water? You should be....

I've heard of new Eco-Complete leaching a bit of kH ... that might be contributing to your 7.6 pH. How are you testing pH?

Because you are using RO water you should in fact need a gH + kH test even more than if you weren't.

gH = Ca + Mg
Ca / Mg = Plant secondary nutrients, essential for plant growth.

Are you remineralizing your RO water? You should be....

I've heard of new Eco-Complete leaching a bit of kH ... that might be contributing to your 7.6 pH. How are you testing pH?

Because you are using RO water you should in fact need a gH + kH test even more than if you weren't.

gH = Ca + Mg
Ca / Mg = Plant secondary nutrients, essential for plant growth.
I haven't added anything to the RO. Using API text kit. I'll get GH-KH test kit

I haven't added anything to the RO. Using API text kit. I'll get GH-KH test kit

Cheapest way to remineralize:

CaSO4 / Gypsum / Plaster of Paris - For Ca - Target 35ppm Ca into new water.

450 mg CaSO4 / 1 gallon = 35ppm Ca

MgSO4 / Epsom Salts - For Mg - Target 10 -15ppm Mg into new water.

384 mg MgSO4 / 1 gallon = 10ppm Mg
576 mg MgSO4 / 1 gallon = 15ppm Mg

KHCO3 or K2CO3 for kH - Target 1-2 degrees of kH

135 mg KHCO3 / gallon = 1 degree of kH
93 mg K2CO3 / gallon = 1 degree of kH

Rotala Butterfly | Planted Aquarium Calculators & Information

Hello Night...

I see you mentioned there's currently a trace of ammonia in the water in this tank. You won't want to put in fish at this point until the ammonia is gone.

B

Back
Top Bottom