new tank set up suggestions please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pisan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
set up is as follows

55 gallon tank . 2 aqua clear 50s . 1 aqueon pro 200 watt heater . Petco brand air pump best they offer powering 1 led air ring and 1 small sponge filter . floro lighting for now . so My intention was to put a lot of small schooling fish in this tank (danios , tetras , barbs etc ) now I think I would prefer medium sized fish but not cichlids need advise on fish . would like community harmony ( I know doesn't everyone ) but colorful or at least interesting fish able to be seen from 15 feet away . this tank is going to be in secondary living room and a center piece . tank will not have live plants and is decorated with silk and plastic plants along with fake ( but realistic looking drift wood sculpture ) . please recommendations needed . thanks Mike

Not cichlids!? Be-still my heart.
Silver Dollars get fairly large, and while not colorful, have a lot of flash when they move in the light. You could do a small school in a 55g, maybe 3 or 4. There are more gourami species and types out now that I couldn't begin to mention them all. Most are very colorful, but I believe do best kept singly. One of my favorite non-cichlid species is DEnison's Barbs, sometimes also called Roseline sharks. Very pretty, with predominant red and black coloring with white and yellow added to the mix. They also prefer small schools, and get to about 6".
You said no cichlids, but angelfish get to a good size, and come in some nice color patters, and aren't aggressive like many cichlids.

Seconded on Denison Barbs. Maybe discus--I know technically they're cichlids but they're not your typical Mbuna Cichlids

IMG_1333.jpg

I have a 55g and have the following...

2 veil angelfish
2 silver dollars
1 gold gourami
1 blue gourami
5 white skirts
5 serpaes
2 plecos

All is peaceful and they look fabulous together.

Back
Top Bottom