New tank setup questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kkona21599

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been wanting a 55 gallon tank for a while and now that my pleco has outgrown my 20 gallon, I finally had an excuse to get one! :grin: I set it up Wednesday night. (Newb mistake - I didn't research the pleco before I got it as a baby so I didn't realize it would get so big.) It's a standard 4' long 55 gallon tank with a canister filter rated at 125 gph and up to 80 gallons; the substrate is pet store gravel. Is 125 gph enough? I'll be adding some driftwood, silk plants and an air pump when they arrive. My 20 gallon took about 6 weeks to cycle so I'm hoping I won't have to wait that long again. I had a snail problem and I don't want to risk getting snails in my new tank so I can't take anything from the 20 gallon to jump start the bacteria. :-|

My sailfin pleco and lace syno (both about 4 yrs old & 6-8") will be moving into the 55 gallon once I get it cycled. I am considering adding some of the following fish:

Rainbows - Boesemani & Praecox
Gouramis - Dwarf varieties, Pearl, Giant(4")
Barbs - Denison & Panda
Swordtail
Molly
Penguin Tetra
Zebra Danio
Peppered Cory

(This is just my starting list, my final list will of course be shorter and it will also depend on what fish I can actually find.)
-Are there any problems with the compatibility of the fish I'm looking at or anything I should know abut them?
-I really don't want to get into fish breeding so is there anyway to get just females of these species? I can easily pick out female gouramis but don't know anything about the others except that male swordtails have the "sword".
-If I can manage to get all females, will having just females in the tank cause any problems?
-Will the cories make too many bottom dwellers and/or be bullied by the syno?

Sorry for all the questions!

BTW, I got my info from Freshwater Fish: Freshwater Tropical Fish Species for Tropical Fish Tanks. I've only seen giant gouramis that were "giant" but this site says these only get 4" long. It lists all the fish on my list as peaceful.

All livebearer males have a gonopodium where the anal fin typically is--it's akin to human male genetalia, and it makes sexing them rather simple. In a tank your size and still having the 20 g around, you could certainly risk having livebearer breeding more safely than most could, esp. so as you have larger fish who would happily eat the fry.

My single male dwarf gourami takes care of my platty and guppy fry shockingly well.

I don't see any issues with your stocking list, with two caveats. The pleco could potential yet get too big for a 55. I don't know that for certain, but it might be possible. And I don't know what a lace syno is.

For the rest, I like the list and consider it safe. I'm getting more and more interested in zebra danios, and I could certainly see a large school with trios of swordtails and mollies (1 m, 2f) being a great amount of activity with two pairs of gouramis (dwarf & pearl) and some cories. I'd try to hit 50" and stay there just on account of the size, growth, and waste output of the pleco.

I don't believe 125gph filter is enough for a 55g. I think you need at least double that in a canister filter - what canister filter is it that you're using?

As for cycling, if you move over filter media from your 29, you may not see a cycle at all. Take benefit of the fact your 29 is cycled and get all that bacteria into your 55 and you'll be good to go.

I believe the barbs and the guorami together aren't a good idea, the barbs will likely pick on the guorami. And like JT said, your pleco will eventually outgrow a 55 as well.

Oh, and Welcome to AA!

Thanks for the input! I made some newb mistakes in stocking my 20 gallon a few years ago so I want to make sure I get this one right. Strangely enough the two fish I should have never bought are the two I'm left with :-?

The pleco has been quite hardy so I expect it to outgrow the 55 gallon as they can reach 18". When it outgrows the tank, I will either consider a larger tank or find a good home for it and get a pleco that won't get so big. There were only two lfs where I live - the one I preferred has closed and the other does not have any freshwater tanks larger than 20 gallons so it will be a challenge to find a big pleco a new home.

I didn't know what a lace syno was either after I brought it home but it's been quite an interesting fish to watch. They're sometimes mistaken for an upside-down catfish so it is also known as the false upside-down catfish. This has info on the lace synodontis Fish Profile for Lace Synodontis, Common Syno, Syno, False upside down catfish, Lace Catfish (Synodontis nigrita, Hemisynodontis nigrita, Synodontis fascipinna, S. ornatus) Mine is territorial - it will chase the pleco away from certain spots in the aquarium but does not seem intent on hurting the pleco. When it was much smaller I came home twice only to find a dead full-grown male blue gourami stuck in the ornament the syno had claimed so I can only guess that it was responsible for the deaths of the two males. I haven't had male gouramis or any problems since. This is why I wonder if any more bottom dwellers (i.e. cories) are a good idea.

I have had tiger barbs before but the two I have selected are considered peaceful so I don't think they will be a problem. There will be at least 2-3 of any species I put in the tank except there will be at least 6 of any schooling fish, such as cories. Some active fish are starting to look more attractive - maybe they will keep my cat occupied watching them so she won't get bored and be such a pain in the a** when I'm trying to get work done.

Any mollies, swordtails, dwarf gouarmis, and danios I decide to get will most likely go in first since I will be able to find them locally but the rest I will have to order. Has anyone ordered fish online? Considering the reliability of UPS and FedEx lately I'm thinking going through the lfs would be the more expensive but better option.

My filter is some Eheim filter. I didn't think 125 gph would be enough so I've been researching pumps. What do you guys recommend: pressure or free-flow inline or submersible? The water has to flow up for approximately 3 1/2 feet to get back into the tank.

Sorry if this is TMI. I tend to have a problem with that.

Back
Top Bottom