New Tank Up; Anyone Experienced With Cherry Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mael

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got my desktop tank set up and I'm fish-in cycling with some goldies right now. My choices are a single betta or a school of cherry barbs. I want something active.

If you have any experience with cherry barbs and how active they are, I would be appreciative of your comment.

Yes, unfortunately, CBs are the only nano fish my LFS stocks.

I may add a snail in the future after the tank gets populated with yummy stuff, but from what I've read, that shouldn't bother the betta or CBs.

Thanks!

Well, since no one in the world seems to have ever had cherry barbs, I went with a spiny-looking betta. Waiting for his water to warm up to the tank water so I can pile him in.

At least the goldies I have in there now will be happy to be back in their big tank. :/

Did you say you cycled with the goldfish? Wouldn't that be rather harmful for them?
(sorry if im missing anything)

Cherry barbs aren't nano fish; they require at least 15 gallons and grow to 2+ inches. How big is the tank?

1. How big is the tank.
2. Why would you cycle with gold fish, they are a cold water fish and can be sensitive.
3. Cherry barbs are not nano fish.

Replies! And mostly just ones that say I'm doing it wrong!

I cycled with goldies because I have 200 of them and they are tougher than you think. The temp is not a problem either way.

Thanks for the info, Fishperson, that's the kind of thing I was looking for.

The betta is in the tank now and he's exploring all the hidey-holes.

Attachments

• IMG606.jpg
    IMG606.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 47
Back
Top Bottom