New Tank...YIPPIE!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joyler

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm headed to Bellevue as we speak to pick up my 50 gallon acrylic tank! I'm so stoked I think I may piddle my pants!! My uncle works in the aquarium cleaning and consulting biz...and he says this tank is a great deal! It comes with everything :) I can see the water cycling already!

Congrats on the purchase. Setting up a new tank is such a great feeling. So many possibilities, and even better if you got a good deal.

Ya, I'm excited!! Not really sure how to get dirty gravel out...I guess I'll just get out a scooper :)

I'm slightly overwhelmed with the cleaning already...lol! Its pretty dirty...needs a new light fixture cuz the balast (sp?) is broken! Old decorations are coming out, cuz I want live plants...and I think the old gravel is pretty dirty

No...post some now so we can see the before/after transformation!!!

ok ok ok...let me figure out how to do that! well i think that worked :) sorry the lighting is soooo bad. Oh, and ya...its pretty dirty!

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 170
  • cabinet.jpg
    cabinet.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 173
  • rocks.jpg
    rocks.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 175
  • side.jpg
    side.jpg
    2.9 KB · Views: 170
Oh man, this is making me antsy to get started on my latest project. Have fun.

Any ideas of what your going to be putting in it yet?

oh good! it did make it :) So, the rocks are goin back to the family friend that sold me the tank. I want some slate...and live plants :) sooo pretty! I wasnt sure if i should re-use the gravel. I know you can use it for cycling...but i dont know if the gravel is the color im lookin for! The cabinet in the stand is a disaster...so anyways, this project is gonna take a couple days *shutters*

Oh man, this is making me antsy to get started on my latest project. Have fun.

Any ideas of what your going to be putting in it yet?

Oh ya! it is gonna be a 50 gallon community! I want a betta for sure! i love them that is absolutly my centerpiece fish :) some lil neon tetras (probably 10). Im thinkin 4 or 5 schwartz corys...i was thinkin some celestial pearl danios (6-8). I know bettas dont like a lot of shoals...I also am gonna have live plants. Im not really sure how many plants are good for a 50g i also want some wood in there for the natural effect :) any more ideas?

Joyler said:
Oh ya! it is gonna be a 50 gallon community! I want a betta for sure! i love them that is absolutly my centerpiece fish :) some lil neon tetras (probably 10). Im thinkin 4 or 5 schwartz corys...i was thinkin some celestial pearl danios (6-8). I know bettas dont like a lot of shoals...I also am gonna have live plants. Im not really sure how many plants are good for a 50g i also want some wood in there for the natural effect :) any more ideas?

Sounds like a nice tank. Those CP danios will be nice. Personally I prefer rummy nose tetras to neons, but that's just preference. Neons are still a great choice.

I'm glad to hear your going to be using live plants. Personally when ever I set up a tank and am not sure about what my plant stocking is going to be like I just take a good amount of moss and cover my drift wood with it. Then I plan the rest of the plants around that. Weeping moss would be a really nice choice.

Sounds like a nice tank. Those CP danios will be nice. Personally I prefer rummy nose tetras to neons, but that's just preference. Neons are still a great choice.

I'm glad to hear your going to be using live plants. Personally when ever I set up a tank and am not sure about what my plant stocking is going to be like I just take a good amount of moss and cover my drift wood with it. Then I plan the rest of the plants around that. Weeping moss would be a really nice choice.

well the reason i chose neons is i grew up having neons, and i think they are so precious :) i also really like the contrast of the blue and the red...(who knows i might just get rummy's if i decide i have more room :) weeping moss...that can go under water? haha....i dunno if ive seen it

-here are some other ideas i have:
watersprite
java moss
giant red rotala
glosso (for the front of the tank)
false tenellus

there are some others...but perhaps i shall do a collage and put it on paper first :)

finally got the darn thing emptied of gooey rocks...and scrubed out

Attachments

• clean.jpg
    clean.jpg
    2.2 KB · Views: 121
  • bucket.jpg
    bucket.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 137
  • dirt rock.jpg
    dirt rock.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 134
  • dirt tank.jpg
    dirt tank.jpg
    2 KB · Views: 123
tyspot1000 said:
Nice! Cant wait for this to be set-up! Keep us updated! :)

I can't wait for it to be setup either...so I can just sit there for a hours and watch! Awww...bliss :)

Back
Top Bottom