New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sicklid-collector

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all kinda new to all this, i was loving the cichlids in my local fish shop so I decided to get a tank n start with them I'm so happy with mine that I've decided to get a 200 litre tank for Xmas, I got 2 mbuna a fire mouth cichlid figure of eight puffer n an angel fish 2 sucker fish and a few Snails in a 70 litre tank, the puffers fine in with them as long as he's fed well they been living together for 3 months now and everyone seems to be getting along fine n everyone's happy hears a pic of my tank n the one I got for Xmas :), was wondering if I need to add anything or take anything out? And I hear a bigger volume tank is actually easier to maintain?? Thanks pplz x

Attachments

• image-3097368749.jpg
    image-3097368749.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 61
  • image-3491287935.jpg
    image-3491287935.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 73
  • image-777355944.jpg
    image-777355944.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 82
  • image-1812129910.jpg
    image-1812129910.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 67
Howdy friend

You have fish for 3 types of water condition living in one tank.

Figure 8 won't live too long in FW captivity. They need brackish water to live for many years.
Cichlid need high ph FW
Angel and maybe suckerfish need lower ph FW.

Have fun in this hobby

Terrance said:
Howdy friend

You have fish for 3 types of water condition living in one tank.

Figure 8 won't live too long in FW captivity. They need brackish water to live for many years.
Cichlid need high ph FW
Angel and maybe suckerfish need lower ph FW.

Have fun in this hobby

Thnx for the advice m8 I was told my puffer is fine in fresh water sum puffers need brackish but apparently the figure of 8 can live in freshwater does it stun the life cycle or sumfink then? My ph is 8 for the cichlid same as the African river and my suckers has doubled in size since I've had them my angel fish is showing very healthy signs but would you advise to take the puffer out? My brother in law has a tank with just angels so should I remove that aswell?? Cheers m8 and how did u *** about this information have u kept these types of fish before or just wot U have read in the forums? Much appreciated :)

I've kept many puffers and know many people who keeps puffers. A scientist on another forum that I visit would describe "FW compromising the immune system of the figure 8", so it ends up getting sick often during its lifespan in FW. You can only treat a sick fish so many times before it ends up dying.

I only know puffers really well, but kinda know some info on other fishes. Basicially, the FW section of this forum is seperated into
1. cichlid
2. all other freshwater fish
Thats what makes me think

Just do a lot of research about the fishes you already own. You'll figure out what is best for your tank and its inhabitants.

Good luck. My Africans destroyed and killed my puffer after the LFS said it would be just fine with them. Lasted all of an hour before it was floating.

Convict2161 said:
Good luck. My Africans destroyed and killed my puffer after the LFS said it would be just fine with them. Lasted all of an hour before it was floating.

Sorry to hear that m8 ye my local pet shop sounds like they will sell u anything to make mny then!!! Il b having a word with them!! I best take my puffer out then thanks guys!!!!

Terrance said:
I've kept many puffers and know many people who keeps puffers. A scientist on another forum that I visit would describe "FW compromising the immune system of the figure 8", so it ends up getting sick often during its lifespan in FW. You can only treat a sick fish so many times before it ends up dying.

I only know puffers really well, but kinda know some info on other fishes. Basicially, the FW section of this forum is seperated into
1. cichlid
2. all other freshwater fish
Thats what makes me think

Just do a lot of research about the fishes you already own. You'll figure out what is best for your tank and its inhabitants.

Thnx ever so much m8 I got a 20 litre tank for snails for food would the puffer b ok in with them and il give my angel fish to my brother in law I did ask my pet store if these fish could live together I gave him all my info on wot size n what fish I have n he said he's been doing fish for 30 years!!!! Fink he needs to go back to the basics or find another career lol thanks for this information il update u soon many thnks :)

Hi,

Your F8 Puffer is not fully freshwater. I would rehome it immediately.

You need to seperate your African cichlids and firemouth ASAP. Generally with cichlids you really don't want to mix continents. There's also a big difference between what type of water they want and their aggression levels. It may turn ugly.

I don't think your angel could survive in a tank where there is a possibility of two aggressive species going at each other. I would rehome him and give him to your brother.

What kind of sucker fish are they? Can you post a picture?

you shouldnt mix a firemouth and mbuna. the mbuna are a lot more aggressive and will kill him

Yes, I also agree that one should never mix firemouth and mbuna, otherwise one would definitely die.

alLexX said:
you shouldnt mix a firemouth and mbuna. the mbuna are a lot more aggressive and will kill him

They actually get along really well they even share the same cave I haven't seen them showing any aggression towards eachother so far and they been living together for about 2 months now their about 3 inch long if I see any fights breaking out il remove one immediately but they seem happy so far maybe I'm lucky :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi,

You need to seperate your African cichlids and firemouth ASAP. Generally with cichlids you really don't want to mix continents. There's also a big difference between what type of water they want and their aggression levels. It may turn ugly.

I don't think your angel could survive in a tank where there is a possibility of two aggressive species going at each other. I would rehome him and give him to your brother.

Ok il give the angel fish to my brother in law il do the research on wot types of water the firemouth needs but so far so good with eachother but if it starts to get aggressive I shal remove the firemouth straight away or if it needs diffrent conditions, I was told they wer aloud together but obviously I been misinformed thanks very much for your help guys!!!

Sicklid-collector said:
Ok il give the angel fish to my brother in law il do the research on wot types of water the firemouth needs but so far so good with eachother but if it starts to get aggressive I shal remove the firemouth straight away or if it needs diffrent conditions, I was told they wer aloud together but obviously I been misinformed thanks very much for your help guys!!!

Found sum information on my firemouth thought it mite be usefull for anyone =
Firemouth cichlids (Thorichthys meeki) are native to Central America. They occur in rivers of the Yucatán Peninsula, Mexico, south through Belize and into northern Guatemala. Their natural habitat is typically shallow, slow-moving, often turbid, water with a pH of 6.5 - 8.0. It has also been reported to live in underground cave systems. As fish with a tropical distribution, firemouth cichlids live in warm water with a temperature range of 23–30 °C (75–86 °F). The common name, firemouth, is derived from the bright orange-red colouration on the underside of the jaw. Males in particular flare out their gills, exposing their red throats, in a threat display designed to ward off male rivals from their territory. Like most cichlids, brood care is highly developed; this species is an egg-layer. Firemouth cichlids form monogamous pairs and spawn on flattened surfaces of rocks, leaves or submerged wood. Breeding males are primarily responsible for territorial defense, while females are more intensively involved in raising the fry, though both parents lead the fry in search of food. Firemouth cichlids are omnivorous and opportunistic in their feeding strategies. Sexual dimorphism is present, though limited in this species. Males are generally larger, (up to 15 cm), than females, have brighter and more red colouration around the throat, and have more pointed dorsal and anal fins. Firemouths are suitable for community aquaria, though they may become aggressive to other members of its species during spawning.

bruinsbro1997 said:
Hi,

In captivity, figure 8 puffers require a 15 US gallon tank with temperatures between 24°C and 28°C. They are sensitive to nitrites and nitrates and must be introduced into a fully cycled aquarium. Over-filtration is recommended. Water pH will reflect the brackish environment to which these fish are best suited; the addition of marine salt will buffer the pH to a range between 7.8 and 8.3. A salinity of between 1.005 and 1.008 specific gravity (S.G.) has been found to increase the lifespan of this species to as long as 15 years. However, this fish is found in fresh water in the wild.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom