New tank :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ultimatedc

Aquarium Advice Activist
Here I

Threw some random things around the house together and managed to setup a tank. Overall I think I'm going with a planted setup but for now I'm considering stocking options. Never had a tank so small. It is cycled and kept at 79dgz. Hard water. Mopani wood some java fern and moss.

I want to try livebearers. I want to rear fry for my tiger barbs every now and than. I like guppies but their top dwelling activity is boring. Not to mention I never have much luck. Any suggestions? :)

Here are pics.

Attachments

• image-249062589.jpg
    image-249062589.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 99
  • image-4149029626.jpg
    image-4149029626.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 95
  • image-3680165381.jpg
    image-3680165381.jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 83
I'm considering cherry barbs as well. Dunno why I just love barbs, very active and colorful. How hardy are they?

ultimatedc said:
I'm considering cherry barbs as well. Dunno why I just love barbs, very active and colorful. How hardy are they?

No cherries sorry
They need a thirty
Go to liveaquaria.com and search for fish you like that stay small then tell us here

cherry barbs need a 30? insertwordicantusehere. mine are in my 20... maybe a betta? they're interesting

If livebearers are what you want, you can look at Endler's livebearers. They are similar to guppies, but smaller and they don't typically eat their young.
If you just want some little schoolers, look at ember tetras. They are small enough for your tank but very bright. :)

Platys are a good choice, they're active and very peaceful and will breed well. Mollies are another live bearing fish that are nearly as prolific as guppies, but their bioload can present a challenge for a 10g. I'd recommend 3-4 platys, 1m and 2-3f. Agreeing with absolutangel on endlers. Incredibly closely related to guppies, but don't get as big, maybe 1-1.5" males and 1.5-2" females from what I've read

I would only use a ten gallon as a fry tank for platys or mollies. I would go with eskers or celestial pearl danios. With a black background of course

Well I actually went out today and bought a blue gourami. I decided against a breeding tank, figured rearing the fry would be too much of a hassle in a ten gallon tank. I bought a single blue gourami. He is maybe an inch and a half. I'm planning another tropical tank , I figured I would let him grow in there until my new tank comes together mid July. I also bought a khuli loach. I actually bought 3 but only two survived :( DOA, going to return them tomorrow and get two more.

Thanks for all the input. The tank actually has a copper background. Against the the natural gravel and now leeching tannins, it actually looks pretty cool!

Good to hear the tank is coming along!
Sorry about the loach. I'm not too keen about them, so I don't know if they will work in a 10g.
The blue gourami (aka three spot gourami) is a great choice for centerpiece, but bear in mind that inch long fish will grow to over 4" and likes plenty of swimming space lol. You mentioned upgrading, so it sounds like you have things planned pretty well. Hopefully you're able to get that gourami a 20 long or 30g tank

I really wanted the gourami my 30, however that is a tiger barb tank and not only is it stocked, he is so small he will be ripped to pieces. I kinda want the gourami to have the tank all to himself. It will eventually be heavily planted. I dunno why but IMO gouramis are the coolest fw fish.

Standard 10g tank dimensions I suppose. I don't have my measuring tape with me, I believe It looks weird due to the awkward shaped piece of wood and the angle of the pictures.

ultimatedc said:
Standard 10g tank dimensions I suppose. I don't have my measuring tape with me, I believe It looks weird due to the awkward shaped piece of wood and the angle of the pictures.

Maybe. It seems small relative to the heaters size. It seems extra tall, too.

Back
Top Bottom