New tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midol

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok, i got a tank for my birthday and i just lugged 260L of water (Like 70-80galleons or something) into it and along with the sand and such it is very murky. I got this big external filter which costed an arm and a leg which is all good but it runs the pipe up where it puts the water back in and it runs along with little streams squirting in, do i have to have this out of the water as it distracts me sleeping?

Also, i got another liquid filter and it makes a hell of a noise and it just sucks water in spits it back out mixed with air, sept when it is running the tank gets twice as murky because of all the air in it. Does this need to be running 24/7?

Ok, getting onto the actual fish, do i really have to wait 3 weeks before putting fish in or can i stick some fish in now? (I sort of put a crab and some fish in that i quickly caught in the river just so i wasnt staring at a blank tank but if it is true i shall return them home)

Also, i read the light is only really needed if you have coral or something... Is this true or is it needed 24/7?

ps, the tank has almost nothing in it till i get out to the islands and get some rocks and such.

Its difficult to understand what your filter problems are. Would help if you could give the brand name and model of filters.
It sounds like the second filter is a power head. If it is then you don't need the air tube. And if it is a power head then yes it should run 24-7 but without the air tube.
Have you added salt to the water? Can't add salt water fish till salt is in and tank has cycled.
I would take out the crab and fish and cycle the tank.
Use the shrimp method described in article. Basically you get a raw shrimp from grocery store and drop in tank and let it rot. This will establish the bacteria you need to breakdown waste products. Fresh water bacteria and salt water bacteria are different so have tank run freshwater will not prepare it for salt.
You wouldn't need special lights for fish or live rock, NO salt water fluorescents (not plant or freshwater bulbs) running about 12 hrs is sufficient. Corals, anemones and clams need more light.

I live right on a huge river and the river mouth is like 20m away to ocean and the guy told me at high tide just get water from there.

Lifetech AP1500F (http://www.aquarium-china.com/sdp/115957/4/pd-1081554/358830-542368.html)
I didnt get it from them but it is the same sept mine came with the filter thingy underneth it. How far down in the water does this sit? All the way under including the powerhead or just low enough that the thing that squirts the water out is under? Also, this is the one making it murky as i have the tube that sucks in air in the air and it makes a hell of a gurgling noise, it is also the one making little bubbles everywhere!

Pro Aqua CFD-1200 (http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/prod788.htm)
This one is the one that has the tube coming up and it says to have it out of the water and it squirts streams of water into the tank but i see no reason at all to have it out of the water making noise.

Back
Top Bottom