new thread on fish-in cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanS180

Aquarium Advice Addict
Okay I already had a thread going but I feel like it died..

A few days ago I added a several live plants and my numbers have changed massively.

Before the plants I was doing 60-70% water changes and was battling ammonia in the range of .25ppm to 2ppm. Had 0 nitrites and nitrates.

After adding the plants and doing more water changes here are my numbers

pH 7.6
High Range pH 7.8
Ammonia between 0 and .25ppm
Nitrite 1ppm
Nitrate 10ppm

Should i just continue with the water changes??

Okay ill do another water change tomorrow, what numbers should i expect when my fish in cycle is complete?? 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and 0-40ppm nitrates??

Mumma.of.two said:
0 ammonia and nitrite constantly and rising nitrates. Its then your job to keep the nitrates under 20-40ppm with water changes.

Okay thats what I figured. Thanks! Ill keep posting up numbers after water changes :)

Ok so last night i tested again, 0 ammonia 0.25 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate.. thinks are looking up :) now hopefully the ammonia stays out :)

Mumma.of.two said:
Looking good :)

Okay so I haven't done any other water changes yet but my levels are staying the same at 0ammonia .25 nitrite and 5ppm nitrates, one more water change and i think I'm completely cycled :)

Looking better! Just remember you're cycled when ammonia and nitrite stays at 0 on their own; doing water changes to get them to 0 doesn't count :)

librarygirl said:
Looking better! Just remember you're cycled when ammonia and nitrite stays at 0 on their own; doing water changes to get them to 0 doesn't count :)

No I understand that lol, I just meant that doing a water change will help it lol and it has been gradually going down on its own for 2 days now so i think its almost finished :) my first fish-in cycle is a success :)

librarygirl said:

Okay I have a question, it seemed like I was cycled but i tested the other day and it came up with a very lil bit of ammonia.. like 0-.25ppm but closer to 0.

0 nitrites and 0 nitrates but yet the day before I had .25 nitrite and 0-5ppm nitrates and 0 ammonia.

What's going on?? I'm confused

Okay I have a question, it seemed like I was cycled but i tested the other day and it came up with a very lil bit of ammonia.. like 0-.25ppm but closer to 0.

0 nitrites and 0 nitrates but yet the day before I had .25 nitrite and 0-5ppm nitrates and 0 ammonia.

What's going on?? I'm confused

From what I understand about cycling (admittedly I'm new to it), you will know you are cycled when both ammonia and nitrites stay at 0 for at least a week. So it sounds like you aren't quite there yet, but very close.

Yeah but I'm just confused bc before I had nitrites and nitrates, but I didn't do any water changes and then it just had 0 across the board, so how did it disappear? Lol

Your tank is still new all tho it sounds like you are very close to being fully cycled, it will bobble a little as the good bacteria balances just keep an eye on those test readings and keep up the good work. Also make sure you are not over feeding because that will make your ammonia climb back up. If your fish are not consuming all food added in about 3 minutes time you should cut back on the amount and don't let them guilt you in to giving extra treats between feedings

Nimo said:
Your tank is still new all tho it sounds like you are very close to being fully cycled, it will bobble a little as the good bacteria balances just keep an eye on those test readings and keep up the good work. Also make sure you are not over feeding because that will make your ammonia climb back up. If your fish are not consuming all food added in about 3 minutes time you should cut back on the amount and don't let them guilt you in to giving extra treats between feedings

Yeah I'm definitely not overfeeding, I have a bunch of little guys in there right now, tetras, rams.

So should i just continuously check the water or should I do a water change??

Unless you have some heavy nitrate feeding plants I would say there is a problem with either your testing kit or testing method.

Are you banging bottle number2 for nitrate test like crazy before you test?

I bang mine for around 30 seconds and then vigorously shake for 30 seconds.

Then add drops.

Ammonia can register from the chlorine/chloramine in your water and can stay around in your tank for around 24 hours until your BB convert it.

Retest everything including nitrate making sure you bang the hell out of the number 2 bottle.

Then post results.

Nitrate shouldn't have zero'd on its own.

Jon

jondamon said:
Unless you have some heavy nitrate feeding plants I would say there is a problem with either your testing kit or testing method.

Are you banging bottle number2 for nitrate test like crazy before you test?

I bang mine for around 30 seconds and then vigorously shake for 30 seconds.

Then add drops.

Ammonia can register from the chlorine/chloramine in your water and can stay around in your tank for around 24 hours until your BB convert it.

Retest everything including nitrate making sure you bang the hell out of the number 2 bottle.

Then post results.

Nitrate shouldn't have zero'd on its own.

Jon

Thank you Jon! I knew something wasn't right! I do however have live plants in there, I have 4 crypt spiralis, 1 Java fern and 1 anacharis.

I guess when i get home tonight from work ill test again and shake/bang the bottle 2 around.

Test kit is brand new (expiration date is 2017).

First, I do not know what kind of plants or fish you have, so DO NOT implement the following until you confirm that your tank inhabitants can tolerate it, but as a possible suggestion...

Given that nitrite is now spiking, aquarium salt is known to reduce nitrite toxicity in fish, and is often used, for this reason, during the nitrite spike portion of the cycle.

Good luck!

I would recommend using Prime water conditioner it removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and it detoxifies the nitrates nitrites and provides slime coat for stress relief during cycle and has no effect on plants. The aquarium salt works good for detoxifying the nitrites but can harm you live plants.

Nimo said:
I would recommend using Prime water conditioner it removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia and it detoxifies the nitrates nitrites and provides slime coat for stress relief during cycle and has no effect on plants. The aquarium salt works good for detoxifying the nitrites but can harm you live plants.

Okay I appreciate the advice but why are you guys giving me ideas for removing nitrite?? My tank currently has 0 lol

Back
Top Bottom