New to AA and Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tank21

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey ya'll I just bought a saltwater aquarium yesterday, first one, and I aded the sand and all. I woke up today and its still pretty cloudy. I was just wondering if this was normal? Also, what should I do after it all settles? I have a powerhead and heater, but what else should I get?
Sorry for all the questions, but I'm new to all this.

Need to read the article at this site on cycling a tank.

What kinda sand didja use? Dry, in bag. If so, it should've been rinsed.

Don't do or buy anther thing until you do some reading. A lot. :)

What other equip didja buy?

I just read the article on cycling, it had a lot of advice, thanks! When I was at the store I only had so much money, so I just bought the tank, sand, salt, power head, heater and a thermometer.

So.... gonna do fish only? Fish and reef? Got a plan yet?

Read up on HOB (hang on back) skimmers. Filtration. Live rock benefits. Reef lighting.

For starters. :)

Alright thanks for the advice! Right now I'm planning on just sticking to fish, not really going into a reef.

Well, while you are waiting to save some money for base rock/live rock, you can add a raw, unseasoned jumbo shrimp (1 per 30 gallons), but a test kit and get your cycle started.

Thanks ya'll! So with the shrimp, should I put it in before or after I add the live rock? My tank is still pretty cloudy from the sand, so should I hold off on the shrimp and LR until it clears up?

It doesn't really matter, whatever you are comfortable with. I dumped it all in at the same time.

I've been reading up on sumps, would it be a good idea to put one in? And if it is, how would you put one together?

Back
Top Bottom