NEW to AA, Ph altering driftwood a consern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEBEANPOLE

Aquarium Advice Regular
I Just got a 36 gal tank and put water in it today. It's my first tank in 15 years and I'm looking to keep it as well as I can. I haven't done any water test and added some Driftwood. WHAT should I look for to decide weather it alters the Ph of my water?.....Should I be concerned?

First off welcome.

In my opinion a test is going to be the only way to know for sure. Driftwood shouldn't lower your ph more than few points. That all depends on how hard or soft your water is since the softer it is the more it could drop. I don't really think you need to be concerned unless your water is extremely soft.

pH is just fine and I've been fishless cycling my tank with the drift wood in it. Two Q's:

1 it's covered in black and white fuzz. I heard white stuff might appear but I'm worried I didn't clean it enough.

2 is that mold detrimental to my cycle or not. I figure it is adding food for the system. Is that wrong? I read that adding some fish food could help once you had some nitrite eating bacteria.

If it's white and has the appearance of snot, than it's normal for new driftwood. The black fungus (I think it's a fungus) is a little more concerning though. I don't see either as interfering with establishing beneficial bacteria though. You can add fish food if you want, as there are other necessary elements needed for bacteria to grow (phosphates, etc).

Back
Top Bottom