New to aquariums - is my betta okay?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smallcorgi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I've finally gotten my first fish in a 6 gallon tank, and even though I did so much research, I'm still anxious about my betta. I bought him yesterday and he is still spending a lot of time in the corner of his tank. He sometimes goes into the plants/hides, though. I know it takes awhile for them to get used to their environment, I just would like input from the experts.
I took some pictures of him to show in case someone sees something up with him that I'm not noticing.

Thanks so much

one.jpgone2.jpgthree.jpg

Hello, welcome to the community, and good job getting him a good sized tank.

Often the Betta fish are kept in small containers and do not have much strength for swimming at first.

Is there a filter and is the water flow making the water mover a little fast?

Do you have a test kit to check the water quality?

Ammonia
Nitrite
NitrAte

pH
````````````````````````````
temperature

How long has the tank been set up?

Also there is a good article, last line in my signature about getting started keeping fish. It would be really useful for you to read it as soon as possible!

Hello, welcome to the community, and good job getting him a good sized tank.

Often the Betta fish are kept in small containers and do not have much strength for swimming at first.

Is there a filter and is the water flow making the water mover a little fast?

Do you have a test kit to check the water quality?

Ammonia
Nitrite
NitrAte

pH
````````````````````````````
temperature

How long has the tank been set up?

Also there is a good article, last line in my signature about getting started keeping fish. It would be really useful for you to read it as soon as possible!

I have a sponge filter that i can turn down, but I was worried that lowering it might mean less oxygen is going into the tank.
And I do have a kit to test everything which I've been doing daily since I got the tank itself and everything seems fine for now temperature was on the high side (29 celcius) because of a heat wave in town, but it's sitting at 26-27 now. The water is cloudy, but I've heard thats from a bacterial bloom and it will go away.

I have a sponge filter that i can turn down, but I was worried that lowering it might mean less oxygen is going into the tank.
And I do have a kit to test everything which I've been doing daily since I got the tank itself and everything seems fine for now temperature was on the high side (29 celcius) because of a heat wave in town, but it's sitting at 26-27 now. The water is cloudy, but I've heard thats from a bacterial bloom and it will go away.

Keep the air flowing, especially if the tank gets hot. Extra heat reduces the amount of available O2 the fish can take in so keeping the O2 up is better.

Do a water change and check out how much you are feeding. Is the sponge a cycled sponge or is it a newly set up tank? It takes about 6-8 weeks to get a good beneficial colony active to keep up with the tank feeding and fish waste.

The bacterial bloom may take about 3 weeks to clear up.

It may also just be too much food in the system which cannot be processed and you should check ammonia because that is usual at the start of a tank to get ammonia spikes which can be harmful. And water changes and reading about doing a "fish-in" cycle would be advisable.

I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

Fish-in Cycling: Step over into the dark side - Aquarium Advice

Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom