New to cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tabbiespice

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi
This is my first attempt at fish-in cycling. Previously I have been able to use established filters, gravel etc etc.

Being a brand new tank I had to start from scratch.

It's 240l juwel rio. 7 zebra danios. Using stability and prime with a little stress zyme. Artificial plants at this stage. 2x54w T5 tubes with reflectors just added (in anticipation of future planting).

It's been 3 weeks.

I have only ever got .25 ammonia readings and nitrites and nitrates have been zero. Ph is high at 8.2 but that's what our tap water is. Despite trying I can't get the ph down. Given up trying now.....fish are happy as Larry.

How long does it take before I will see changes in the chemistry?

Weird thing is I am starting to see algae forming so what's feeding the algae? I may be over feeding so have cut that down a bit and also cut back on lighting times.

But if I have been over feeding then why am I not seeing ammonia, nitrites or even nitrates yet. It's been 3 weeks.

The test kit is the API with the test tubes.......I am not doing that wrong I assure you.

I read good things about seachem stability....has it not worked? Wouldn't my ammonia be rising if it hadn't worked?

So confused now

Help?

Hi
This is my first attempt at fish-in cycling. Previously I have been able to use established filters, gravel etc etc.

Being a brand new tank I had to start from scratch.

It's 240l juwel rio. 7 zebra danios. Using stability and prime with a little stress zyme. Artificial plants at this stage. 2x54w T5 tubes with reflectors just added (in anticipation of future planting).

It's been 3 weeks.

I have only ever got .25 ammonia readings and nitrites and nitrates have been zero. Ph is high at 8.2 but that's what our tap water is. Despite trying I can't get the ph down. Given up trying now.....fish are happy as Larry.

How long does it take before I will see changes in the chemistry?

Weird thing is I am starting to see algae forming so what's feeding the algae? I may be over feeding so have cut that down a bit and also cut back on lighting times.

But if I have been over feeding then why am I not seeing ammonia, nitrites or even nitrates yet. It's been 3 weeks.

The test kit is the API with the test tubes.......I am not doing that wrong I assure you.

I read good things about seachem stability....has it not worked? Wouldn't my ammonia be rising if it hadn't worked?

So confused now

Help?

Here's what I think is happening. Either the stability is working, and it is keeping the ammo and nitrites at good levels, or it's taking forever for you to register nitrites and nitrates on the kit.

I find it weird that there are no nitrates yet. I now you said you're Doing the tests right, but with the nitrate test I've found it's really touchy. You have to shake the crap out of both bottles, but bang bottle 2 on a table because there's a solid in there that can separate. Then hold the bottle completely vertical when adding the drops. I just wanted to let you know about that since I kept getting stumped by 0 nitrate readings because I want shaking.

I would just keep doing what you are doing, and do water changes when ammonia rises above .25. But I'd retest the nitrates after giving the bottles a real good shake and see it they're still 0. It seems you're almost there.

What does the algae look like? It's most likely your lighting schedule (I never did more than 7 hours per day with my planted tank). Also, fish waste and unearen food produces phosphate which fuels algae.

Sorry for such a long post!

Good luck :)

If it's 240 liters that's 63 gallons which is a good size for 7 danios. The larger volume of water will dissipate the toxins more, so it may take longer to see any significant readings.

Back
Top Bottom