New to reef tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No we just let them floated them for about 15 mins.

That could be it. I lost a coral banded shrimp that way $20 gone in minutes. Now i drip acclimate all. It takes like 30 min or more but you wont be wasting money with dead fish.

I wouldnt waste my time doing a long acclimation for hermits and snails. I just temp match and in they go. Shrimp are another story, they need a longer acclimation due to their sensitivity to ph and salinity.

Dosing up to 1ppm with ammonia is ok, means your tank had a light cycle pretty much. When I cycle my tanks I got to at least 4ppm on the ammonia. But thats neither here nor there.

How long did it take your tank to cycle? Were the hermits the only thing you had ?

when we cycled it, we did it with 4 ppm of ammonia and we used Start Smart to get things going. we kept dosing with 4 ppm until we knew it had cycled. it took about 3 weeks for the whole thing to go through. we then bought a maroon clown and three hermit crabs. drip acclimated the clown for 45 minutes and put him in. we let the hermit crabs float for about 15-20 minutes then put them in. the maroon stayed alive all of 2 nights (we woke up that morning to find him stuck to the filter) and the hermit crabs just stopped moving around day 3. all the parameters before and after he died were still the same (ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 15, pH 8.4).

Did you happen to put any store water in your tank? I would check for ammonia with a different test kit and then if that wasn't it nitrates and nitrites.

just a little bit of his water. Not that much at all. Why check it with a different test kit?

A little water can have a lot of copper in it from the lfs. When I get fish from a different store I ask if they treat ich with copper and most do on a regular bases. That could explain the death of the cuc.

Some test kits aren't good for one reason or another. Some expire others are difficult to read. Do you have a lfs that uses liquid tests to test their water? I have one that isn't so local but if something seems out of whack on my tank I make it a point to go and get it checked out to make sure there is nothing wrong with my kit. They also test for all sorts of things like mag. and copper for me too.

The lfs uses the same test kit we use and after the fish died we took a water sample and he did the test and got the same readings we got with our test. We have not checked the copper yet I will do that when I get a chance thank you. I will get back to yall on that.

Such a small tank is a risky endeavor for a anenome. Not much room for error. IF you must, pls wait a year to gain experience and stability. On the goniopora - read the link. Not many survive in the home. And again, the small tank makes it even more risky.

Yeah ok for the goniopora but what other coral would be good in such small tanks?

Ok thank you very much man. I will get back with yall on all the parameters on EVERYTHING (lol) latter this afternoon.

Sorry I have not gotten a min to check everything yet but I was thinking the last time I did my KH was supper high. Will that kill my crabs and fish?

We made a discovery! Our hermit crabs are alive after all! Do yalls do that? Like... go into hibernation for a few days/weeks? haha

Back
Top Bottom