New to salt water and need some advise about primary and secondary tank setup.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SEA_Monkey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I am still in the research stage. I want to start getting equipment but I am not sure what to start with.

My goal is to have a main tank (65-70 gal) which will start out as fish and live rock then I will slowly add coral. However, I want a secondary tank for sea horses. I am thinking a 30-40 gal tall tank. Since the cost is less to setup the sea horse tank, I had hoped to start with that. Is it advisable? I will get equipment that will accommodate the total water volume, so I only buy it once. I am still looking at skimmers, pumps, and I do intend to have a sump. I will start out with a plastic container as a sump.

This will be an ongoing project that will expand with time, so I don't want to buy something that I won't be using later unless I really need to.

Does anyone have advise? Anyone with experience with sea horses? I know they are not easy to keep and I am trying to research and prepare as much as possible so I can give them the best chance of success. I want to start out with a pair and go from there.

I am sooo happy that I found this forum. I have already read a ton of very useful and practical information. Thanks for sharing!

Hi! Welcome to the forum!

seahorses are difficult i believe because of their eating habits, I think they only eat live food. So you'd have to have a tank for brine or other foods for them.

Thank you for responding. I intend to purchase captive bred sea horses that have been eating frozen food. I hope they will do well.

Back
Top Bottom