New to shrimp need advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Blos85

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok ive never owned shrimp before but i did own a blue lobster(crawfish) and never was told they are escape artist and it got out and died. My question is are shrimp escape artist and if they are what is a good way to keep them locked in the tank?

I hear chaining them to an ornament works.

Sorry, i just wanted to reply to subscribe to the thread as i'm looking for some soon too.

Really the only thing you can do is have a tight fitting lid. I've never ever had a shrimp escape, but it can be common. If you don't have a really tight lid, expect it to happen every now and then. But what species of shrimp do you plan on having? Amano seem to jump more often than RCS.

Well i had two particular that i had my eye on...red cherry only hecause that seems to be the most often kept on here at least and i dont remember the full name but i know its a tangerine or something. All i use is a HOB filter....are they smart enough to climb up the air line or the filter tube to escape through those cracks? Cuz i believe my crawfish must of went up the airline but idk

They will climb up the filter tube unless you put a screen over the intake. I would pull a bunch of them out of the filter media every time I cleaned it. People usually start with cherry shrimp for two reasons. They are relatively cheap and very hardy. They breed like crazy so even if you have fish in the tank they will still survive.

Ok thanks ill definitly secure the tank better next time around. It was sad finding the crawfish dead in my house all cuz i was unaware they were sneaky

I have never had a problem with my Blue Pearl or Crystal Reds escaping and I have no lid. A few times I did a little too aggressive of a water change and they hung out towards the top of the tank but never made an attempt to break the water surface.

I would highly suggest a sponge filter. It becomes another food source for them as they can eat off it. When I was new to shrimp they would always get sucked in to my whisper filter and it even killed a few.

I have a theory that a lot of the time, if a creature takes the gamble of jumping out (minus Lobsters, they're adventurous), there is probably something not right with the water.

I have never had a problem with my Blue Pearl or Crystal Reds escaping and I have no lid. A few times I did a little too aggressive of a water change and they hung out towards the top of the tank but never made an attempt to break the water surface. I would highly suggest a sponge filter. It becomes another food source for them as they can eat off it. When I was new to shrimp they would always get sucked in to my whisper filter and it even killed a few. I have a theory that a lot of the time, if a creature takes the gamble of jumping out (minus Lobsters, they're adventurous), there is probably something not right with the water.
+1 I agree. If the water is ideal conditions for them (and clean) they should have no reason to try to escape.

+1 I agree. If the water is ideal conditions for them (and clean) they should have no reason to try to escape.
From my experience it doesn't make a difference. They crawled out of my tank with nitrates at 5. It seems to me that they're just truly adventurous creatures lol. But if many crawl out at once, it's a water quality indicator.

Best advice is to not over think it just treat them like any other fish , water changes and keep water clean not that bad I'm new to shrimp myself about a month and a half in and it's not hard at all

Best advice is to not over think it just treat them like any other fish , water changes and keep water clean not that bad I'm new to shrimp myself about a month and a half in and it's not hard at all

Very good advice!!

Back
Top Bottom