New to the hobby: Cycling questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, It can take a while to get the nitrites and nitrates. In the ultimate cycling with fish, you would keep ammonia and nitrite below the test kit limit of 0.25, and it would take 6 weeks before you see nitrates rising. Check out my link for this: http://home.comcast.net/~tomstank/tomstank_files/page0017.htm
Now that you have some ammonia, keep it below 1ppm and be patient. When you get nitrItes, keep them low too. I would estimate that it might take 3 or 4 weeks to be done with it, for a variety of reasons (check out the ariticles!)

BTW, run one nitrate test now. Sometimes the reading is not zero in the tap water, so look for this now so you can see an increase later to confirm the cycle's end. Then later, after the nitrites have fallen, do another nitrate test, it should be higher.

I would like to add to my last post. The fourth and final Zebra Danio is not doing well. It looks like he is on deaths doorstep. He was and has been fine up to this evening. He has always been a good eater but tonight I noticed that he didn't come to the top. When I inspected closer, I notice that its mouth was looking abnormal. It almost looks like its pried open. Could it be a injury? Can fish injury their mouths by running into the tank? Anyways, he is being very stationary and looks like troubled breathing. I bought the 4 zebra's at Wal-mart and they are all going to die. What's up with that?

Since there are alot of fish in the tank already I would do 50% pwc daily. Don't vacumn gravel. Also underfeed the fish. Try to get biospira. And/or try to get gravel and/or filter media from someone elses established tank to speed up cycle.

With the 4 Harlequin Rasboras combine, there is probably around 3.5 inches of fish for the 20 gallon tank. Is that considered a overload? My LFS said I should have 2-5 inches per 10 gallons.

Technically any amount of fish in an uncycled new tank is an overload only because the bacteria to handle any bioload havent established yet. That is why the water changes must be frequent.

Welcome to AA :D

I would highly recommend getting the book The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums, by David E. Burochowitz. As a newbie myself I have just finished reading it from cover to cover. It covers everything you need to know during your first attempt to become a successful aquarist. He covers cycling (with fish) well, and has many stocking suggestions.

Again, welcome!

Day 12 update:
pH= 7.4
amonia= >0.5ppm but <1.0ppm
nitrite=0ppm
nitrate=0ppm

- 20% partial water change after water readings. The 4 Harlequin Rasboras are as happy and energetic as ever.

Day 13:

pH= 7.2
amonia= 0.5ppm
nitrite=0ppm

Is it normal to have no signs of nitrite after nearly 2 weeks?

Day 15:

pH= 7.4
amonia= >0.5ppm but <1.0ppm
nitrite= 0ppm

I stopped by the local fish store, explained my tank and cycle, and the manager recommended Eco-Start by Kent Freshwater. I made the purchase, only $2.49. I have yet to add it to my tank. The manager highly suggested it but I wanted to see if anyone had any positive/negative results. Thanks!

Dont worry. It can take a while. Patience is king! You have ammonia, so your Nitrosomas bacteria will grow and eventually be able to keep up with the ammonia production. Then you will need a few weeks for the Nitrobacter species to do the same thing. I am skeptical about bottled additives to speed the cycle, and I know it will take care of itself without them. Just be patient, you will get there.

Day 17 :

pH: 7.4
amonia: 1.0ppm
nitrite: 0ppm

I have a quick question for anybody and everybody. Is there a certain level that the amonia must reach in order for it to spike, thus, starting the creation of nitrites?

no.

even ammonial evels below the test limit of 0.25ppm will develope a biofilter. The real question is what ammonia level developes the bio-filter the fastest? I cycled two tanks, and kept the ammonia and nitrites below 0.25ppm. It took more than 40 days. Others have used ammonia without fish, up to 5 ppm, and some have cut a week or so off that time. The only way to really speed it up is to add ammonia without fish, then add biologic media from an established tank. I have heard of cycles of less than 3 weeks that way.

virtually Every ppm of ammonia will become a ppm of nitrite. Too high an ammonia concentration may slow the bacteria down. The ammonia will stimulate the growth of nitrosomas, which are slow growing. Eventually they will start rapidly converting the ammonia to nitrite, and you will be playing another waiting game for the nitrobacter to grow.

hang in there, and be patient. I know its hard, but you can do it.

I actually looked into this. From a chemical company, a kilogram of nitrite is about 14 bucks, if I remember right. A kilogram would go a long way! If I were an entrepenuer, I would bottle ammonia and nitrite, sell them for fishless cycling. I bet you could shave a few weeks off a cycle by stimulating both sets of bacteria at the same time. But you would have to do some research for optimal dosing.

Day 21 update:

ammonia: >0.5ppm but <1.0ppm

I am getting a little discouraged with my tank's cycling process. Its been 3 weeks and still no sign of the ammonia peaking and not a trace of nitrites. I am starting to wonder if I am doing anything wrong. I am trying to be patient and I do daily water readings. I have been doing PWC every other day or even sooner. Any suggestions or advice?

I talked to the manager of the LFS and he thought I should add 1-2 inches fish every 2 weeks until the tank is cycled. He thought that my cycle was stalled and I needed more of a bio-load. Was this a good idea? I haven't bought anymore fish yet because I wanted other opinions.

Day 22
ammonia: 0.5ppm

Day 25 update:

ammonia: >0.5ppm but < 1.0ppm

- 15% partial water change plus added NovAqua+ ater treatment.

- sitting here still waiting for those nitrites.

Day 26 update:

pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0.5ppm

- 10% partial water change plus addition of NovAqua+.

- I am really stumped to as why I have no traces of nitrites after 3+ weeks. I am trying to be patient.

Back
Top Bottom