New to the hobby. Started Cycle 11/16, please help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noah091

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi Guys,

I had posted on another forum asking questions about cycling.. completely overlooking the 'Getting Started' section.

Anyway, here are my levels as 11/20. Keep in mind that I am doing a Fish-IN cycle

pH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 0 (possibly 5, max)

If you have any questions about my tank/plants/fish all can be found by clicking the link in my signature.

Did a 20% WC yesterday. Checked levels again today.

pH: 7.6
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 0 (possibly 5, max)

Should I do another change?

Only do a WC when ammonia and or nitrites rise above .25ppm. Also you want to keep nitrates (when you get that far) below 20ppm.

There is a lot of speculation about water changes during cycling. The liquid in the eco-complete bag is called "black water" and contains a buffer. I noticed some fluctuations in pH when I was cycling a tank with eco-complete. Any idea what the pH of your tap water is?

There is a lot of speculation about water changes during cycling. The liquid in the eco-complete bag is called "black water" and contains a buffer. I noticed some fluctuations in pH when I was cycling a tank with eco-complete. Any idea what the pH of your tap water is?

The rules for WC's during cycling depend on whether your doing a fishless or fish in cycle. When doing a fish in cycle as the OP stated water changes are a must to keep ammonia and nitrite poisoning from happening.

As for Eco complete I've used it for years and it's in all my tanks without it raising my ph/kh/gh. According to the manufacturer it does not release buffers or increase ph/kh. There is a Eco Complete for African Cichlids that does release buffers to help keep ph/kh levels high. Ph fluctuations naturally occur in many tanks during the cycle process.

OP your Ph level is fine.

when i did my first cycle i was obsessed with all the levels, because i wanted everything to be perfect. i also did an in-fish cycle, i had 10. your levels seem fine nothing is a red flag. you want to wait about a week before you do a 25% WC unless you are having off the charts Ammonia readings. THAT should be your biggest focus, the ammonia. If you start getting into the lemon-lime colors or even worse lime green when you do your test kit tests, then def. do a water change. some people do daily changes , some do weekly.

Both ammonia and nitrite levels have to be monitored as both are poisonous to fish. You also do WC's whenever either of these levels rise above .25ppm. You don't want to wait on a WC when either of those rise as this can cause damage to the fish.

Back
Top Bottom