New to the site and need help ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not a hot tub. Lol they would have died so fast with all the chemicals and them being coldwater. It was a water tub that sat out in the field. Just normal water from the hose. The horses would drink from it and he would fill it back up. Kinda like doing a pwc everyday the horses take the water out and he would put it back in. I was unsure of the idea the first time I noticed them but sure enough.

+1 to the canister. I have one on my 35 it's amazing. I'm trying to convince myself to get one for the 110

Mumma.of.two said:
I just remembered! If your in the US there is a company call angelsplus that's sells active sponges. I think there is a link under section 16 or 17 (?) in the link I posted on the first page.

I'd go for a canister on the new tank if you have the $. I have one each on my three biggest tanks. I will never go back to HOBs.

I thought about canisters too much for me ATM so hob will have to do lol

And yes I am in us luckily I will look into angelplus Ty

Hobgob said:
+1 to the canister. I have one on my 35 it's amazing. I'm trying to convince myself to get one for the 110

Do it! Lol

Goldfish_noob said:
I thought about canisters too much for me ATM so hob will have to do lol

And yes I am in us luckily I will look into angelplus Ty

Try amazon or eBay. I'm in Australia but they have them in the US under the names sunsun, proaqua and aquatop (I think). I just got a 2000L/h (about 530g/h) for $70au. Some say they are cheap knock offs but I now have 3 and never had a problem in the 9-10 months since I got the first one.

I looked at angelplus but I didn't see active filter cartridges just a cube filtration and I really don't understand what that is for. But I read a couple reviews about their active sponges and a lot of people had success cycling new tanks in a week or so with fish in cycling so I'm definetly gonna look into it.

Goldfish_noob said:
I looked at angelplus but I didn't see active filter cartridges just a cube filtration and I really don't understand what that is for. But I read a couple reviews about their active sponges and a lot of people had success cycling new tanks in a week or so with fish in cycling so I'm definetly gonna look into it.

It's a cube of sponge. A sponge filter. You hook it up to an air supply. When the bubble rise they draw water though the sponge and out the top filtering the water. You can also cut the sponge up and put it inside your existing filter. :)

Maybe go for custom size so I can get more then one and to fit the filter dimensions perfectly would be better but I didn't see active under custom fit. Idk maybe I'll just get the cube run on top of hob I'll get I seen the ac70 on amazon new for like 35.99 so that's not bad

Goldfish_noob said:
Maybe go for custom size so I can get more then one and to fit the filter dimensions perfectly would be better but I didn't see active under custom fit. Idk maybe I'll just get the cube run on top of hob I'll get I seen the ac70 on amazon new for like 35.99 so that's not bad

You could get two active sponges, cut one up and put it in the new filter and run one next to the intake of the old filter in the old tank. The custom fit ones would take a month to seed (to make active) so you better off getting the active ones IMO.

Mumma.of.two said:
You could get two active sponges, cut one up and put it in the new filter and run one next to the intake. The custom fit ones would take a month to seed (to make active) so you better off getting the active ones IMO.

U right. Thank god for u guys helping me out I love this forum!!

So I just finished testing

Ph 7.6
Ammo .50 ppm
No2 0 ppm
No3 0 ppm

Also I have bio bag whisper filter cartridges what do I remove from cartridge as I'm using melafix?

Goldfish_noob said:
So I just finished testing

Ph 7.6
Ammo .50 ppm
No2 0 ppm
No3 0 ppm

Also I have bio bag whisper filter cartridges what do I remove from cartridge as I'm using melafix?
You'll want to to a water change and bring that down.
The only thing you need to remove is the carbon (black pellets/chips). You may need to cut it out of the cartridge.

Mumma.of.two said:
You'll want to to a water change and bring that down.
The only thing you need to remove is the carbon (black pellets/chips). You may need to cut it out of the cartridge.

So a 50% water change?

Also looked up API stress zyme it's suppose to be for ammonia and declorinize I put as much of the water I'm replacing or enough for full tank?

Goldfish_noob said:
So a 50% water change?

Also looked up API stress zyme it's suppose to be for ammonia and declorinize I put as much of the water I'm replacing or enough for full tank?

Yes 50%. You can dose enough for the whole tank then add the water.

I also removed the carbon in the cartridge a little was left but I didn't want to rip the cartridge completely but almost all is out so I can keep with the melafix

Should I test ammonia before I go to bed since the pwc will have settled by then?

Goldfish_noob said:
Should I test ammonia before I go to bed since the pwc will have settled by then?

You can if your curious but if you did a 50% PWC (partial water change) on .50ppm then you can assume it will be .25ppm. I'd definitely test again in the morning though.

If you want to save money you could dose the water before it goes into the tank. Otherwise put enough for the whole tank in, then add the water.

Couldn't sleep tv kept me up. I out enough for whole tank just gonna have to get more soon before I do another pwc tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom