new to this, have platy problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yvetted

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Set up a new tank, added platy (2) of them, one very aggressive to the other, fish store said add more. Added 3 more. Now the aggressive one is picking on 2 of the new ones and the same one. Now here is the kicker to my problem, all the new fish are also picking on the original one. Pet store said I could bring back the aggressive one, but has told me to FLUSH the other. What gives????? Please help, not sure what to do!!!!

Your lfs said to flush it? I would speak to the manager. I agree with Rich it is most likely a male to female ratio issue.

Platties are know to be very sexually agressive. The guideline is 1 male for 3 females. Otherwise the male will literally chase the female until she dies from exhaustion. When there are 3 to chase, the male gets tired first. FYI...I had 4 males together, and they were happy, and that way you don't get lots of babies.

In my community,

I have two male and three female platys. The female's seem to be my most agressive feeders, and the two males seem to dominate my tank. Every time I go to my local fish store, they always smirk when I tell them what is going on. I never knew how agressive these fish would be compared to my scissor tail rasboras, zerbra danios, tetra school, black tetra couple, and my mollies.

My one tank was all fine and dandy until the Platys out numbered the other fish. Now they are the only thing in the foreground and patrolling the waters as it would seem.

I hope an expert can add to what I am seeing, as well as your Post.

The boy Platys have just two triangular fins and a long straight fin in between the two on their bellies midsection. Its his gonopodium or naughty bits if you will. The female Platys have three triangler fins on their bellies midsection.

Hopefully this will help you to determine the sexes of your fish and therefore you will know how many girls n boys you have and if you need to get more to make the ratio 3 girls per boy. This will help to quell any agression between the boys.

Although on a side note my boy platys will once in a great while pick at each other a bit if they decide to swap females. exgi, fighting over which girl fish they think is the pretttiest and most desirable to them at the moment. lol men

I think I would also want to FIN that LFS worker who told you to flush. What a JERK!!

Anyway HTH,
Rose

I have 3 females and 2 males, according to my fish guy. I would like to point out that the man who actually sold me my fish did not tell me to flush, he told me to bring it back. I phoned another fish store to get some advice because I didn't know and was trying to get some advice other than my fish guy. The other guy told me to "swirl it". My fish guy told me he would look at my bluefin and tell me if it was sick, and I could take back the aggressive one. Could you please give me advice!!!

I will agree wholeheartedly with the male/female rario issue. Either return one male or get 3 more females.
Another thought is this: if only one seems to be picked on, and you are worried about his/her survival, take THAT one back. If they are willing to take back 'the aggressive one' then they should also be willing to take this one back.
Good luck,
Tracy

Back
Top Bottom