NEWB established 29g tank Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

virtualrealitys

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm pretty new to the aquarium scene and I was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions....

29 Gallon Tank
Wisper Filter
All Glass Heater
Bubble Curtain
1 Live Plant (No CO2 or additional lighting added, thrives fine)
Coral (fake)

Readings:

Ammonia 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
Hardness: 50
Alkalinity 20 <- Stays low for some reason
pH 6.8

Temperature Stays around 75-78F

Tank has the following fish:

2 Plecostimus
2 Platies
5 Tetra's (2 Glowlight 3 Neon)
2 Guppies

Questions: Can I add ghost shrimp to clean up some of the excess food on the bottom and how many other fish should I add, are there any other interesting breeds that would go with these fish, my wife likes anything that has lots of colors :). Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

OK just a couple of comments...

when were the fish added? I ask this because your tank needs to cycle before you increase the amount of fish you have. Information on the cycle is listed in the "getting started" forum in the stickies. The nitrogen cycle is esentially the bacterial build up that eats waste and keeps your water liveable for your fish. Which leads me to my second comment. If you are seeing a large build-up of food on the bottom, you are over feeding. I only feed my fish once per day and as much as they can eat in about 2 mintues. Anything more than that only contributes to the waste problem i just discussed.

Once you finish your cycling you should have enough space to add a few more fish. Any community fish, mollies and such would be fine and colorful. If you have any other questions regarding the cycling process, just ask... the establishment of the tank is critical for the wellbeing of your fish as deteriorating waste will kill them prior to the bacteria development.

Oh, and welcome to aquarium advice !!

Re:

Well I let my tank cycle for 24 hours and then added 2 of the fish, I added the Neons 2 weeks after that then the mollies.

I am seeing the waste problem that you were refering to, I have done 2 20% water changes, one when I used Tank Buddies Ick Clear to get rid of some ick that I think it was the 2 Horrid PETCO fish. and another because my Nitrate/Nitrite level was a little high.

I don't believe my tank has completed the cycle you are speaking about is there anything I can do for the fish now that they are already in there until then? I only feed my fish once a day.

Also.... My total Alkalinity is very low... is that ok if not what product or method do you recommend to raise it or should I raise it because my pH is neutral?

Thanks for all your help

Welcome to AA!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I don't believe my tank has completed the cycle you are speaking about is there anything I can do for the fish now that they are already in there until then?

Check your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate levels daily. Do a small water change (10-15%) whenever the ammonia hits 0.25 ppm.
While you're waiting, check out this article

What kind of plecos do you have? The common ones get really big, but bristle nose plecs are just as ugly/cute and stay small (4 inches).

Your alkalinity shouldn't be a worry so long as your pH is neutral and stable.

I'm not sure what kind of Pleco's they are, I can upload a picture....

My nitrate and nitrite levels are 30ppm nitrate and 1.0 ppm nitrite should I do a water change now???

Also I have a single plant in the aquarium it has been growing fine for the past 2 weeks, no wilting or anything so I don't believe I will need Co2 but with that single plant in a 30g tank should I remove the carbon or plant one or two more...

also you didn't post your link to the article...

Thanks for welcoming me and thanks for all the help... One day I hope to have a large established salt water tank they are beautiful especially the pictures in these forums.

I figure I better start cheap and learn first before I invest in something where mistakes are costly.

Click on the word, "article" :)

Nitrite isn't nearly as toxic as ammonia, but IU would still do a small waterchange.

What's really strange is your nitrate level. I would expect those kinds of numbers in a well established tank, not one that has been set up for only a few weeks. You should check your tap water - sometimes, tap water can have nitrates. Plants love nitrates and will probably do very well in your tank. I actually have to ADD nitrate for the benefit of my plants!

Back
Top Bottom