Newbie feeding questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RooRoo

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys.....I'm having some trouble getting the hang of this feeding thing. I currently am feeding once a day after work, which is at night, I work 2pm-10pm.

It seems the fish never seem to realize I just put food in the tank. Even if I feed in the morning it's the same thing. By the time they realize it, it is sinking to the bottom. Once its on the bottom, they don't want anything to do with it.

So a few questions. I feed flake food, should I crush it between my fingers, or leave the flakes big? Should I un-plug the filter and air bubbler during feeding time? and if so, will that hurt the filter doing it everyday? Right now, I simply turn the flow down to the lowest setting, but it is still a pretty strong current. Should I feed everyday, or every other day?

Any advice or suggestions will be appreciated.

crush it up. just turn them off and see if that helps them find the food. feed everyday with one day for fasting

I feed once a day at 3 P.M. But how often you feed them really depends on what type of fish you have. As for getting them to eat I usually just grab my feeding tweezers and pull out some flake food and dip it down into the water. They usually go straight for it. I would suggest trying to hand feed them and see if they notice the food. Also, you could leave the filter and air bubbler on during feeding time. However, some people like to turn it off. I guess it's just personal preference though. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom