newbie needs answers to questions ? eclipse 3 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwarfpuffer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hello everyone , i am new here, i look forward to meeting you all , here are the questions following
1 . i just set up a 3 gallon eclipse tank today i added the product called cycle
2 . i want to know what fish i can use to help the tank cycle ?
3. i will be using this tank to house 1 dwarf puffer i did my research and 3 gallon is min for 1 puffer .
4 . now while i am cycling the tank should i put kordon amquel plus , it removes nirate and nitrite and ammonia , it doesnt effect the good bateria it claims, will this help the fish that i am using to cycle the tank ?
5. i want to know how often do i feed the dwarf puffer snails ?
6. also i know the dwarf puffers likes krill and blood worms
7. i will be giving the fish i use away to cycle the tank when it is done
thank you all for answering all the questions i have asked have a great weekend

1. Cycle will not do anything to cycle your tank, it has no live bacteria.
2. use pure ammonia and do a fishless cycle.
4. no other chemicals are neededn until the cycle is complete for a fishless cycle.
5 & 6. I honestly don't know the answer to these questions

Welcome to AA! I suggest you read our articles section, it has good articles on fishless cycling which is much more humane than cycling with fish.

You cn try a product called Bio-spere, I know that it must be kept cold at all times so if you buy it take a cooler with you. It will add live bennificial bacteria to your tank you will also still have to have a fish with it to feed the bacteria. But it will be better for the fish you used to cycle, otherwise please do a fishless cycle.

The brand name is Bio-spira and in some locations it is difficult to find. It does have to be kept refrigerated in order to keep the live bacteria live. If you use Bio-spira the directions are to add the bio-spira and the fish at the same time. Many members have used bio-spira on this board with varying degrees of success. Do a search for bio-spira to see some of the results.

Another alternative to BioSpira is used media from an established tank. <One LFS sells bioamx that had been "cultured" in their tanks - good idea, but I am not sure how healthy their tanks are!>

Using live bacteria to kick start your cycle, you can do a fishless cycle in under a week. If you have enough bacteria, you can add your fish immediately without going through a formal cycle. I would not recommend this in a 3 gal tho .... Small tanks are unstable, and it is better to do be safe & monitor the full cycle without your fish.

Back
Top Bottom