Newbie needs some opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sharpy98

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all, Let me start by saying I have never ran a saltwater tank before so please excuse any ignorance here. With that said I am researching my tank as best I can I have a 40g tall tank to work with and lights that were given to me. I was considering using the marinelife H.O.T pro system to cover all my filteration needs. After a trip to my LFS I was steered to a H.O.T trickle filter with protien skimmer because of the small surface area and told "With this you really wont need any mech. filtration just clean the tank" which struck me as odd. So now I really don't know which way to go and was looking for some opinions as to what would be the best setup for a newbie like type/model/man. of filters or anything else that I might need. Would like to keep the cost down as much as I can without skimping or going the DIY method. I don't want to do a reef just a like 5-8 fish. Any input would be helpful and Thank You in advance

you could go with a red sea prizm type Hang On Back (HOB) skimmer and just any kind of filter. i think someone told me you want the filter to cycle the tank about 6 times an hour. so keep that in mind. but get some other opinions and pick the one the best fits you.

The filter that was recomended to me was the CPR bak pak2. I am curious if this and just a secondary mech filter (and perhaps a few #'s of LR) would be enough to keep my tank healthy. If I understand correctly it is the function of the skimmer to do the chemical filtering. So this would give me 3 stage filtering correct? Please correct me if wrong.

live rock is a form of biological filtration. the best filtration you could use on your tank would be a DSB (deep sand bed), skimmer and some live rock. about 1 lb per gallon on the rock and at least 3 inch sand bed. this would be the best way to go but then again it would also be a little more expensive. this would also allow you to convert to a reef maybe a little later on down the road.

Yeah I wanted to avoid the cost of a DSB an LR only, Thats why I was curious if this would be a decent setup to startup and learn with.

it is a big cost up front but if you can afford it now it will save you money in the long run. that is what i have learned over the years.

Depending on where you are located in the country, your local Home Depot may have Southdown brand play sand. This is very good for DSB's since it's sugar sized and pure aragonite. It's also cheap. I am betting the price of the HOB trickle system would be close to enough to buy your LR. The trickle is going to be a nitrate factory and you will likely be plauged with algae. The LR/LS combo will control the nitrates after it matures. All you'll need will be a good HOB skimmer. Check out a Seaclone or a Prizm. You really don't want or need a mechanical filter as the media will soon become bioactive and start cranking out nitrates at a faster rate than you anoxic bacteria can handle them.
LR with a DSB. A skimmer. Enough powerheads to bring your total tank flow up to at least 10x the size of the tank...in your case 400gph. All you need. A trio of Maxi Jet 600's would do nicely. A pair of 900's or even 1200's would work as well if you diffused the outlet some...can't have fish being slammed into the wall of the tank as they swim by...they tend to frown on that :mrgreen: . You can also start with dead base rock (cheap) and cap it off with some really good aquacultured or Fiji. In a few months, your dead rock will be live rock. Patience is the key.
Logan J

This seems to be the majority opinion so sounds like the way I should go Thanks for the help

On the main page check out the articles section. They will give you tons of great info when setting up a new tank. You have already taken a good step in doing your research first, with that, you should do great at setting up a successful tank. Welcome to Aquarium Advice. :D

Definitely go with a DSB, a DSB is at least 4" as this will allow for anerobic bacteria to grow as well as aerobic bacteria. The live rock or combo of base rock and LR will enhance the look as well as the filtration process. A good yet inexpensive skimmer is the prism, works for me. If you are as obcessive as I am, get a hob filter and remove the carbon and change filter media weekly to discourage nitrates, it seems to assist in polishing the water for a clear, clean look. This is just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom