Newbie questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Valiceemo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all
I have just got my first tank in 5 years.

It's a 48L cube like shape, approx 34 x 38 x 34cm (w x h x d).

There are 2 energy saving flourescent lights in the hood, one for day time and one with a softer blue 'night time' glow.

Now the questions!

How many fish can I healthily keep in here and all species suggestions are welcome.

I'd really like planed tank but I'm not sure on the setup procedure?

FYI
I will be cycling the tank for 2/3 weeks whilst we are away as of 17th sept.

Depends on the type of fish. Different fish will have different bio loads. Any idea what you'd like to have?

Well based on size of tank thinking tetras, guppies, loaches, angel fish, plecs, cat fish.
I'd like a silver shark also
But I'm really open as to what to have?

many of the fish out there will eat the dwarf shrimp out there. most of the crabs are not truly freshwater and lobsters tend to kill plants.

right ok.
i dont think ill be going for a planted tank due to costs and the need for co2.

I think i shall go for a sand substrate.

Any recomendations for fish?

Hi all
I have just got my first tank in 5 years.

It's a 48L cube like shape, approx 34 x 38 x 34cm (w x h x d).

There are 2 energy saving flourescent lights in the hood, one for day time and one with a softer blue 'night time' glow.

Now the questions!

How many fish can I healthily keep in here and all species suggestions are welcome.

I'd really like planed tank but I'm not sure on the setup procedure?

FYI
I will be cycling the tank for 2/3 weeks whilst we are away as of 17th sept.

Do be aware that simply leaving the tank ,filter,heater running while you are away will not cycle the aquarium. For the maturing process or cycling to take place,there must be a source of food for the good bacteria to consume.
You could take one or two small uncooked raw shrimp and place them in nylon or mesh bag with a rock to hold it down in the tank before you leave. This would provide the good bacteria some source of food.
when you return, test the water for ammonia and nitrites. Until these two substances test zero,, the tank has not cycled and you will need to continue to test the water every day until ammonia and nitrites read zero and there are some traces of Nitrates.
At this time, you could /should perform large 50 to 60 percent water change using a dechlorinator such as PRIME for the new water you add and only then would it be safe to add three or four small fish such as tetras to the tank. Wait a week to ten days before introducing another two or three small fish until you have the tank stocked,'
Research the fishes needs with respect to water requirements (ie) pH.temp,and compatibility with other fishes BEFORE you purchase any fish.
try and select fish that will do well with the pH of the water from your tap that you will be using for water changes. Good luck!

Do be aware that simply leaving the tank ,filter,heater running while you are away will not cycle the aquarium. For the maturing process or cycling to take place,there must be a source of food for the good bacteria to consume.
You could take one or two small uncooked raw shrimp and place them in nylon or mesh bag with a rock to hold it down in the tank before you leave. This would provide the good bacteria some source of food.
when you return, test the water for ammonia and nitrites. Until these two substances test zero,, the tank has not cycled and you will need to continue to test the water every day until ammonia and nitrites read zero and there are some traces of Nitrates.
At this time, you could /should perform large 50 to 60 percent water change using a dechlorinator such as PRIME for the new water you add and only then would it be safe to add three or four small fish such as tetras to the tank. Wait a week to ten days before introducing another two or three small fish until you have the tank stocked,'
Research the fishes needs with respect to water requirements (ie) pH.temp,and compatibility with other fishes BEFORE you purchase any fish.
try and select fish that will do well with the pH of the water from your tap that you will be using for water changes. Good luck!

ah i see, i did not know this!
already this forum has saved me making a big error!

I shall get a couple of shrimps...can these be bought from a supermarket or fish mongers?

I have an old testing kit somewhere from way back when i did have tanks.
Will this be OK to use or do they go 'out of date' (i think its probably 4 maybe 5 years old?

Thanks

I would get a new test kit.

As for fish, I have now in my 55 gal 2 common goldfish that are getting effin' huge, 1 sm pleco who is also growing, and 4 panda cory cats. The goldfish I bought very small from Wally World for .28 each and they outgrew my 20 gallon.

With 48 gallons I would go with smaller fish and those that don't produce as much waste as goldfish. I think some of the ones you listed would be good.

Avoid a lobster is you're gonna have other fish in there. Crabs won't last. LFS's will tell you FW awuariums are ok but I found out the hard way that crabs truly need land and brackish water to survive.

As stated, most shrimp will make a great meal. :)

Planted tanks are not expensive and you do not need CO2 injections with plants like Java moss , java fern and other less demanding low light plants . In just a matter of a few months , I went from plastic plants to a beautiful planted aquarium for very little money and no CO2 injection set-up in one of my 30 gals . I do use Seachem Flourish Trace (around $6.99 a bottle on-line) . You did not state the wattage of your lights , so how many watts are you running ?

And if you do want more demanding plants you can create your own DIY CO2 reactor for next to nothing , a 2 liter bottle , a drill , some sugar , yeast , check valve and some air tubing etc; etc; . You can find many how-to articles on-line on how to create your own CO2 system , it's very easy to do . I created one myself for a grand total of $10 for a 20 Gal. heavily planted set-up that I am trying out , so far so good .

Test kits , at least API , have a shelf life of 3 years or there about so you would be better off getting a new Master Test kit .

Thanks
There are 2 individually switched 15wat lights.
One for daytime and a night time one with a blue glow.

What kind of plants could I easily grow with this mind of lighting and no c02 additives?

Also, what kind if algae eaters can I keep in a tank this size?

I have a sm. pleco from Wal*Mart in mine I bought the same time that I got the goldfish. He's getting big. He'll be ok in the 55g though. Should work ok for you too.

As most others on here will, I'd advise against Wal*Mart if you can help it though. I didn't know much 6 months ago when I started and really I still have tons to learn. I've been lucky as my goldies and pleco have prospered and pushed me to get a larger tank for them. My cory cats are from Jacks Aquarium though. They seem to take a little better care of theirs.

right ok.
i dont think ill be going for a planted tank due to costs and the need for co2.

I think i shall go for a sand substrate.

Any recomendations for fish?
well you can go with cheap diy co2 if you want but co2 is not a must by any means.
ah i see, i did not know this!
already this forum has saved me making a big error!

I shall get a couple of shrimps...can these be bought from a supermarket or fish mongers?

I have an old testing kit somewhere from way back when i did have tanks.
Will this be OK to use or do they go 'out of date' (i think its probably 4 maybe 5 years old?

Thanks
its not always common to find anything other then ghost shrimp. the prices you also pay at a lfs vs ordering on line for shrimp is a heck of a lot more. many stores for like cherry shrimp charge up to 5-8 each. when online they can be had for a lot less.

i would get a new test kit. walmart.com has a api master test kit for under $20

As mgamer stated Co2 is not a must . Java Moss , Java Fern , Anubias to name a few are great low light plants , easy to maintain and undemanding .

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom