newbie to freshwater / Substrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your substrate depends completely on what kind of fish and/or plants you will put in the tank, so let us know your plans in that regard.

There is a handy calculator on this site that you can use- I believe it is a sand bed calculator but will do the same job for gravel.

I was thinking maybe some tetras, a pictus cat, cobolt lobster and some ghost shrimps............... I don';t know anything about plants either, do any of the things i'm wanting in my tank require plants?

Many fish like to have cover of some kind. Tetras like to hide in plants and driftwood when nervus. The cat will need a place to hang out when resting.

If you really dont care to mess with live plants then fake will do. Spend a little extra and get good quality fake plants. tall for the background mid sized for middle of the tank and a few short ones in front.
the best all around substrate is sand blasting sand. Many lfs carry it.
I used bagged river gravel this time. The gravel is of varrying sizes. Mixed in a little black gravel to make it a bit darker. If you want some color just add a little colored stones or gravel. Even glass marbles will do.

With your fish choices you can really put in any kind of substrate you wish - no specific requirements there.

My only comment, though you did not ask for my opinion ( :oops: ) is to watch out for the blue lobster. They are predators and will eat fish. I have kept them with very large oscars, and the lobster ruled the tank and killed anything it could get its claws on. Just a heads up :wink:

In my 50 gal, I used river rock and it looks great. In addition, there is natural wood and fake plants--plenty of cover for everyone!

The tank i'm using is a tank i'm converting from a saltwater to freshwater tank. When it was a saltwater tank before, I mixed livesand and some dry gravel together..... needless to say, my saltwater tank was a failure..... can I use the same substrates in my freshwater tank?

Also, the sand and gravel used for a SW setup is usually calciferous, so if you are keeping African cichlids, that would be great. Otherwise, it is not going be the best substrate for your average tetra, as it will buffer your water and raise the pH somewhat. Livebearers will appreciate harder, more alkaline water, though.

Alll of your galleries look really cool. Especially your Tankgirl!! where did you learn to aquasqape like that? is there a book? Also, what kind of substrate is that you have in your tank? and what kind of rocks are those in your tank?

Thanks for the complement, dinotrex - I need to post updated pics the ones in my gallery is shamefully outdated!

My general practice is to create three "zones" in the tank, left, middle and right. I don't like symmetry and I like my tanks to be relatively filled out, so I keep rearranging until it is pleasing to my eye. I am an artist so I might do it differently than others. Takashi Amano is the king of aquascaping, so his books are good reading, but there are tons of books out there about it.

My substrate is gravel and Fluorite, and the rocks are river rocks picked up at the river nearby, and there is some slate in there as well.

Glad I found this post as I didnt wanna start another one.

I will have a 55g, 2 x 55W lighting, 2 filters, ebo jager 250W, live plants. I would like to try Eco-Complete (perhaps 50/50 with sand or flourite) and wondered how many pounds i would need. I plan on Balas, corys, pleco, tetras, loach, and maybe ghost shrimp and frog.

thanks,
dan

Ok, my head is going to burst after reading all the different opinions on substrate.

Would Eco-Complete and Tahitian Sand work well together well as substrate? (sharks, tetras, catfish, pleco, loaches)

TIA,
Dan

I didn't know you can use sand..... do you have a underwater gravel filter (UGF)? Cause if you do, I don't know if that'll work. Do you plan on growing plants?

yes i plan to grow plants and i will nothave an undergravel filter.

Ive heard so much about substrate variations: eco-complete, flourite, sand, silica sand, onyx, sand blasted sand, gravel..

perhaps ill try flourite with eco-complete?

Back
Top Bottom