Newbie with septicemia and Fishrot =./

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jcvera said:
This is their home right now and im planning on doing 50% water changes every day until this weekend where i will go get their ex home, the 10+ gallon home they lived in previously with a vaccum filter underneath

When you move them move the old filter with them. You need to preserve any bacteria that maybe on it. I honestly think you will need to change more than 50% once a day. From my experience (a 10g hospital tank with one goldfish) the ammonia builds very quickly. Also look into a better filter. Undergravel filters can trap waste and cause more ammonia.

I just replaced all 3 gallons with clean treated water(aquasafe and easybalance) They're still gasping...and unfortunately express delivery is out of my budget since its usually 20+dollars and im a college student =.( I thought the water treatments were suppose to level off the pH and other chemical levels...

The other home im getting them has an undergravel filter plus a normal filter and what causes ammonia to build so quickly?

jcvera said:
I just replaced all 3 gallons with clean treated water(aquasafe and easybalance) They're still gasping...and unfortunately express delivery is out of my budget since its usually 20+dollars and im a college student =.( I thought the water treatments were suppose to level off the pH and other chemical levels...

Some do, some don't. I'm not familiar with those products. Some will temporarily convert ammonia to a less toxic form. You don't want to mess with the pH. That can be deadly.
I don't know what else to suggest. They need medication IMO.
Do you have any aquarium/kosher salt?

Isnt maracyn 2 medication? Whats kosher salt? If its available in a local market i can definetly pick some up!

jcvera said:
Isnt maracyn 2 medication? Whats kosher salt? If its available in a local market i can definetly pick some up!

Yes it is. It is an antibiotic that is added to the water then the fish absorbs it. Mediated food is better than water treatments because it gets more medication inside the fish. I'd you still have maracyn keep using it. You can use any salt that does NOT contain anticaking agents or iodine. You should be able to find it at your supermarket.
I'll do the math and get back to you how much you new to use.

Ah that link helped soo much, but i washed the gravel and all the decorations extremely well that i may have removed some of the necessary bacteria they need.... ugh So what does the salt do?

jcvera said:
Ah that link helped soo much, but i washed the gravel and all the decorations extremely well that i may have removed some of the necessary bacteria they need.... ugh So what does the salt do?

http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/ponds/Kebus_Salt_Treatments.html
So you want .3% salt.
The tank is about 20 Litres.
3grams salt per 1Litre of water so...
3x20= 60g of salt.
Dissolve 60g of salt into a container of tank water and add a 1/4 of the mixture to the tank every 12 hours until its all in.
When you do a water change you need to replace the % of the salt taken out. So if you do a 50% water change you need replace 50% of the salt that was in the tank.
In this case the salt will not be the cure but it will help.

What does the salt do? And okay ill try it, i just want them to get better.

I am sad to report that my orange goldfish passed away today =.( The other appears to be gasping, i changed the water and then added maracyn again

His gasping has subsided but i dont know if thats because of the water change or because the white goldfish is dying!

His swimming is very brief and he zips through the tank and lays on the bottom for awhile afterwards

Unfortunately no, my schedule doesnt allow me on monday to make any detours, tomorrow i will be able to pickk some up though and I just hope that my fishie can hold on for that long

Unfortunately, my white goldfish has also just passed away =.( Thank you for all your help, I just wish i had known all this useful information before I decided to take them in.

Back
Top Bottom