The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bounceae86

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi
Im new here and from ireland lol
Have a 100 gallon bowfront,
Rena xp3 canister
Fluval 300w
v2 600 skimmer
Power heads on the way,
only have t8's for now open to suggestion as id like to retain the lid etc.

Stock is small as the tank is only up 4 weeks
30kg of live rock
5kg crushed coral
blue tang
common clown
neon blue damsel
5 mexican hermits
2 bumblebee snail
2 narrsius snail
2 turbos
a coulple of hitchhikers etc .

Thats it for now im not rushing it , next up is more rock, lighting and im mad after a yellow tang lol....and dont worry i eventually plan a bigger tank
:dance:

Welcome to the forum!

Glad you know about the tang as the blue one isnt suited for such a small tank. They require at least a 6 foot long tank. :)

Did you plan on making this a tank with coral? I;m not aware of nay other bulbs that can make the tank coral capable. You may have to buy a new fixture. :-(

Good to know youre going slow, thats the secret in SW, patience.

how long til you upgrade tanks? That blue will work for a short time maybe in your tank depending on its size but I would for sure not recommend a yellow until you upgrade. I have both of those tangs and they really do require ALOT of swimming room. That's the thing with the tangs, even small they need the swim room. It only partially has to do with the size of the fish, tnags get stressed extremely quickly and can take stress very hard, even causing death either by stress alone or a stress iduced sickenss. :-(

wont be upgrading for a while anyway, our lfs is seahorseaquiriums.com.
They recommend a 300ltr tank for the blue and yellow and there all marine bioligists etc.ill email them about it , but ye anyway i will be upgrading in the near future as ive only set this one up.
As for the lights i dunno i can get a 4 or 6 tube t5 unit, im just worried about jumpers and snails running away lol.
The sw hasnt takin off much over here due to cost but it is on the rise lol

A 300litre tank isnt nearly big enough for a full grown blue tang I'm sorry to say. If I do my amth correctly thats about 65g. There arent really any tnags that are recommended for that size tank, 75g is the minimum for a few with the majority being a 6 footer. It's a;ll about the swim room, I promsie. :)

Here's a good website that lsits tank size, diet and coral compatibility.

Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums

Great site to get ideas from as well.

I wish you luck, keep an eye on that tang though, mine was very very shy and stressed alot when I first added him to my 125g tank. Those are the worst as far as ich and stress go. The yellow is a bit more sturdy of a fish but still needs that zoom zoom room. lol

300 litres is just shy of 80 us gallons? , ill have a read through that cheers .
Mine being 100 gallons the yollow would be more suited you think for now? ill only be lightly stocking with fish and might leave it at just the 4...i want to get into corals and thats whats stopping me getting my copperband butterfly....although im tempted to try him

edit... im on us gallons not uk...

300 litres is just shy of 80 us gallons? , ill have a read through that cheers .
Mine being 100 gallons the yollow would be more suited you think for now? ill only be lightly stocking with fish and might leave it at just the 4...i want to get into corals and thats whats stopping me getting my copperband butterfly....although im tempted to try him

edit... im on us gallons not uk...

Yes, 300L is just shy of 80 gallons. May I suggest a bristletooth tang or a kole yellow eyed tang for your tank?

cool, ye ....the only tangs that appeal to me im afraid is the blue, yellow,purple or sailfin lol......id be awful picky that way lol

bounceae86 said:
cool, ye ....the only tangs that appeal to me im afraid is the blue, yellow,purple or sailfin lol......id be awful picky that way lol

Makes sense... I'm picky too... Lol

Old pic on.the phone its very out of shape lol ill get a new one later

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110921_184247.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110921_184247.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 134
Got a hydro external heater today . Along with seaweed strips , clips and a pincushion urchin lol

Recent pics . And of the urchin

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111002_200810.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_200810.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 108
  • ForumRunner_20111002_200825.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111002_200825.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 119
Finally have my yellow tang on the way to.me today after a long wait

Tang is in.and getting along fine .... There where a few sparks with the blue but now they don't leave each others side lol. On the tank build i have 36 cree led kit and ill be starting that asap ... Can't wait to get into corals !!! .

ForumRunner_20111203_122705.jpg

Blue and yellow getting along good . Installing the new diy cree led system over the weekend so ill get pics up of that also

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111203_122643.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111203_122643.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 76
Really shaping up! Nvr did sw... Will some day... Recent college grad... So rent will be my priority for now... Lol

bounceae86 said:
Blue and yellow getting along good . Installing the new diy cree led system over the weekend so ill get pics up of that also

Nice, I like the rockscape!

Hi just wondering how much i should be feeding..
I have a yellow tang .blue tang . Blue damsel . Clown . Urchin and 20+ cuc crabs and snails etc .
In stock i have
Formula 2 flake
Sprinula flake
Nori strips
Frozen mysis and spinach .

I usually feed 2 times daily mixing it up with garlic guard and feed Nori 2 -3 times weekly .

Does this sound ok?

Back
Top Bottom