Nice CRS or PRL??? Thinking out loud...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autumnsky

Site Team
Having a hard time deciding.

My tap water is pretty much ideal for these kinds of shrimp. So for a long time now, a couple years I have been trying to pick the right time to get them, things always seem to come up!

A few years ago my fun would have been in breeding. But now it would be more so in a display tank for appreciation of them.

??????????????????????????
The options:

CRS Really nice SS+ nice bands - good looking shrimp 50% more shrimp for the $$

CRS SSS+ good white color almost no red other than the band across the carapace and a smidge on the 6th segment 1/3rd more shrimp for the $$ than the PRL

pretty solid color - good PRL looking like a S+/SS+?

The PRL have a special place as the line with no Golden Bee shrimp so it was harder to make the line true.

~~~~~~~~~

For a little more cost - the nicer line of shrimp CRS but not the highest color grade.

Have to cull for furthering the line for solid color and grade.

Honestly right now I am not interested in culling the line to breed up the quality (lack of time). Which is why I was wondering about just getting the higher quality CRS SSS and enjoy looking at them, and if they breed well for me they mostly should come out looking like champs (parents).

~~~~~~~~
Originally wanted solid white color shell (red bands were fine) PRL, but am leaning towards the nicer grade CRS atm.

Basically I want to spend $100 on the project and I have everything I need but the stock (unless I add to the deal and get new substrate).

Any thoughts or comments about these options?

As shrimp keepers (those who are) know that it is very hard to take a lower quality and breed up for higher grades - it takes a long time, so the money you save at the beginning is kinda lost because of the amount of time it will take, and your culls are often not valuable enough to make back money to even pay for foods!

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

So far I am at the same spot I was before. I am hedging towards the PRL because I would like it to be a low tech, set it and forget it where they look beautiful and I can just see and enjoy them and not be concerned with their culling and worrying about the breeding.

It seems each time I get a group of shrimp I end up with deeper involvement in breeding because of finding something interesting which causes me to feel compelled to try and further the special morph or whatever it is!!!

Lately my schedule has me commited to no more than 4 tanks (I have 5). :angel: No time for trying to find little shrimp in the corners of the tank that don't meet the high standards of the line.

So, both kinds are very beautiful. It seems to take about 6 months to get the colony really growing, for the facts the new shrimp will arrive young and tank will be somewhat immature.

So the lure of these PRL is great.

I found some PRL which are really nice quality but yet a "reasonable" cost (lol, reasonable cost :) ).

FYI - Pure Red Line bred shrimp with no Golden Bee shrimp mixed into the line like CRS.

PRL can come with all grades of shrimp from splotchy clear and white (very low grade) mostly red to solid white shells and bright red, to small to no red on the abdomenal segments (very high grade). So low to high grade but still be PRL.

The objective for me is a nice grade which would be a challenge to keep and raise, but not so special I need a sterile laboratory to keep them :) .

So here in lies the question - still - can you think of pros and cons to help me iron this out?

SSS+ Grade CRS / 10-12 of them
or S-SS+ PRL of 6-8 of them

CRS are less delicate, and the higher grade, more narrowly bred shrimp, the more particular the water parameters are, as would be PRL.

So my $80-100 to spend here includes shipping for a special project for my "fun" money. Safer bet CRS or PRL more risky option?

Extra work would be to just not skip the 10% pwc each week and maybe up the frequency to every 5 days give or take. And not over feed :eek:

My water

Back
Top Bottom