Nissarian snail behaving very strangely.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skifflexie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've had this nissarian for a while, he normal spends his day under the sand, and at night sometimes cruises along. But today he's been all over the glass, trying to climb on the rocks-and continually falling off, and now he's been cruising along the sand and leaving a ton of slime everywhere. And when I say he's cruising, he's really cruising super fast. I though maybe he was hungry since I recently transferred everything to a larger tank, so I added some reef crack, and he's still doing this. Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I was worried about food, it is a new sand bed. I added a small amount of reef crack, I'm not sure it's what he likes. (I only added a dime size, because I've been having issues with bristlesworms). Every other day I was adding a 2x1 strip of nori, but no one was wanting to touch it, so it kept getting nasty and I would just end up pulling it out of the tank the next morning.

Give it a day or 2 I'd say as it sounds like he's just looking for food especially since you added some food. I also just transfered a tank, added new sand, and my nassarius went crazy for a bit

Sent from my SM-G925V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There really is no reason to add food. They are scavangers and will find fish waste or small bits of food that were overlooked. I`ve had mine for years and they crawl all over the place. I dont see a problem.

keep in mind they are carnivores and will not touch algae or nori.
I have 6 that have been going strong for almost a year now and they always climb up the sides and then just let go. Used to piss me off when they would land on corals and damage them, so I had to move all my corals away from the sides....LOL

if you are concerned try taking a few small pieces of shrimp or fish and place it right next to them or their "breathing tube" that sticks out of the sand. You will be surprised at how much/fast they can eat.

Thanks! I guess in the 10g I originally had, I didn't feed much so I never saw them start speeding around and falling lol. They've calmed down, unless I'm feeding my fish, then they are all out and about.

Back
Top Bottom