Nitrate level way above 100ppm!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tshere

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
8O 8O I checked my nitrate level this morning on my 20 gallon saltwater tank and it was above 100 ppm. I did a 50% water change. How long will it be until I can check the level again and see results from the water change? Is is immediate? Ok, It has been several hours since I did the water change and the level is still about 80. What do I do now?

HELP

Well, the math says that if you start with 100 ppm, and do a 50% water change, you'll be at 50 ppm. This is still mighty high, but to reduce shock to your fish, wait until tomorrow to do another 50% water change, bringing you down to 25 ppm. If you are trying to keep corals, you'll want to do at least one more 50% water change and get below 20 ppm. The level should be reduced as soon as your water is throughly mixed, so just give it an hour for your filters to mix the water before re-testing.

Thanks. I had a black and white clown to die last week. I also have a anemone that used to be about 4 to 5 inches tall and now it's about the size of a pea. I hope this will help it.

What kind of lighting do you have for the anemone? They require very intesne lighting to thrive, as well as being very sensitive to water conditions.

Power-Glo high intensity 18,000K 15W

OK OK........I've been reading and have realized that that is not even close to being enough light. What I don't understand is that the anemone was fine for several months. Now it's tiny. The pic is before. I don't have an after right now but it's tiny.

Attachments

• clownfish_013.jpg2_131.jpg
    clownfish_013.jpg2_131.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 86
The anemone can get some food from the water, but will decline over time if it doesn't get enough food from light. They will often linger for months before declining, sometimes even budding off babies during the decline, in the hopes that one will survive.

So what would be ideal lighting for my tank? It is a 20 gallon. I also have a feather duster. Do they require such light? I've checked my nitrate level now several hours after the 50% water change. There doesn't seem to be much difference at all. What now??

Can you confirm your readings with another kit or your LFS? How old is the kit? What kind of filter do you have, ie; bioballs/wheel, sponge?

Something is causing these high nitrates. pwc`s are your best defense and i mean several and not just one. Then we have to find out where it`s coming from. How often are you feeding?

If the first reading you got was above the top color on the chart, it may be significantly higher than that number. Keep up the water changes. Are you using tap water or RO/DI water for your water changes?

Until recently, what has your water change routine been?

How long has the tank been running?

Lighting: You probably want one of the higher end PC/CF light systems. Try to aim for 200 watts, although it's undestandable if that's out of your budget. I think 2x65 is about the best you're going to find in premade fixtures, a 3x65 would be more ideal for the anemone.

The feather duster doesn't need much light. It eats small particles of food floating in the water.

I have the Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter System. I've had the kit for about 5 months. I feed the fish once or twice daily. I use tap water. Well, I haven't actually checked it in a few months. I thought everything was ok until the clown died last week. The tank has been running for about 6 months.

dskidmore said:
Are you using tap water or RO/DI water for your water changes?

I am very curious to the answer on this one. More importantly have you tested the water you are using for pwc. You can do pwc until your arms fall off, but if your source is the problem to begin with it will be to no avail. Just one thought.

As for the anenome it is a condy, which are very hardy and do not require as much light as other species, but still need at least 2.5-3 wpg. This is probably why it has shrunk over time.

One thing that might help us give you better advice is to update your "my info" area of your profile. Include setup (tank, filtration, lighting, substarte), inhabitants and how long it has been running.

HTH,

tshere said:
I have the Emperor 280 Bio-Wheel Filter System. I've had the kit for about 5 months. I feed the fish once or twice daily. I use tap water. Well, I haven't actually checked it in a few months. I thought everything was ok until the clown died last week. The tank has been running for about 6 months.
Unless you have tangs, that need fresh veggies a couple times a day, or other delicate fish, you can cut back the feedings to every other day, no more than the fish will consume in 5 minutes.

The bio-wheel is very efficient at turning food waste into nitrates. Only a protien skimmer actually removes the nitrogen from the system. Other types of filters just convert it to a less toxic form, nitrate.

After your nitrates stabilize, might want to start changing 10% of the water weekly.

afilter said:
As for the anenome it is a condy, which are very hardy and do not require as much light as other species, but still need at least 2.5-3 wpg. This is probably why it has shrunk over time.
Thanks. I'm horrible at ID. I was being rather generic rather than looking at the specific anenome.

Guess I need to look into a protein skimmer and some lighting. The guy at the place where I bought all of my equipment said that the filter I got along with the live rock would be sufficient....hmmmm....oh well.

cut back on feedings. In general bio wheels are not widely used in Sw setups as they tend to be nitrate factories. Most importantly check the water source. With readings as high as you claim I am betting your water source has some to start out with which would explain why it did not come way down with a 50% pwc.

Good luck,

tshere said:
Guess I need to look into a protein skimmer and some lighting. The guy at the place where I bought all of my equipment said that the filter I got along with the live rock would be sufficient....hmmmm....oh well.
It's fine for fish only, along with weekly water changes, but invertabrates are more sensitive.

I agree with the rest. Cut back on feeding, if you have 1.5-2LBs of LR per gallon, you might be able to get rid of the biowheel.

Bio-wheel. Twice daily feedings. Both culprits for trates. I'd also get a trate check from your LFS to make sure your test kit is OK.

Feed once every other day for a while.

What kinda cleanup crew ya got for the excess food that sits on the bottom and the rocks?

I have to agree in feeding every other. Been doing it in my tank for nine years now.

Back
Top Bottom