Nitrate levels zero with no recent water change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

peterac

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have not changed my main tank water in about 2 months. My Nitrate levels are not detectable. Check my sig to see my setup.

I would like some insight. Do you think the algae growing on my LR is enough to keep tjhe nitrate levels down.

The tank (for its size) is not heavily stocked.

Thanks,
Pete R.

Check your testing supplies, and have a confirmation test done at lfs. Although tanks seems to be lightly stocked and it could be that you have a nitrate cycle going too.

With a tank that large and low in fish numbers IMO having no nitrate is ok. If you have any type of algae it is feeding off what NO3 is in the tank keeping levels undetectable. Im not sure what a Nitrate cycle is?? never heard of it..

How many gals or water do you use when doing a water change...

seaham358 said:
With a tank that large and low in fish numbers IMO having no nitrate is ok. If you have any type of algae it is feeding off what NO3 is in the tank keeping levels undetectable. Im not sure what a Nitrate cycle is?? never heard of it..

How many gals or water do you use when doing a water change...

I use about 90 gallon for a water change. thanks

seaham358 said:
90 gallons....WOW.... thats a lot of water.... And I *beep* when I do a 20 gallon.

Thanks for the sympathy, but I think as it turns out I will not need to do water changes very often.

peterac: We have about the exact same setup. I also have a EV100 skimmer. You like your skimmer?

Brenden said:
peterac: We have about the exact same setup. I also have a EV100 skimmer. You like your skimmer?

I do not have much to compare to, but I like the way this skimmer works. I am finding that there are sweet spots that yoyu have to find by adjusting the gate valve.

How about you?

Back
Top Bottom