Nitrate Levels

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Caspar

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I think that I am closing in on the end of my "Fishy" Cycle in my 29 Gallon. It has really started to look nice with plenty of plants to include one pice of driftwood that looks like a lady's high heel shoe draped in Java Moss.

Ammonia = 0
Nitrite = 0
Nitrate = 0.5
PH = 7.8

My question is at what point do I need to worry about my Nitrate levels to keep my 3 Swordtails happy.

Thanks in Advance!

I agree with VC, but nitrate levels under 60 are fine also. Swordtails are quite hardy fish anyways, so you should not have any problems.

HTH

I can't imagine how long it will take to get nitrate levels that high if you do partial water changes and gravel vacs on a regular basis. Also, some people feed their fish way to much which can add to the problem.

ksfishguy said:
I can't imagine how long it will take to get nitrate levels that high if you do partial water changes and gravel vacs on a regular basis.

Some folks have the additional burden of dealing with tap water with high nitrate levels. It can be really frustrating to attempt removing nitrates with PWCs when the new water being added into the tank already has high levels.

I know a guy from another forum whose tap water goes about 80 PPM when tested for nitrates! 8O

IIRC, it is not actually the Nitrates themselves that are a big problem for fish. It is the Dissovled Organic Compounds in the water that are usually produced along with the Nitrates that cannot be removed by any method save Activated Carbon and... drum roll please... water changes.

SirWired

I've read that nitrates over 40 ppm is bad. I guess it depends on the species of fish and whether the tank is planted or not. I have to dose my planted tanks just to keep the nitrates above 10!

Thanks guys! I think that my cycle is complete. I stocked a school of 6 Lemon Tetras Sunday night and added a pair of Powder Blue Dwarf Gouramis tonight after having no ammonia for the last couple of days. May tank is moderately planted with 4 Swords of different varieties, 3 Water Sprites that are growing really fast, a nice piece of driftwood covered with Java Moss, a bunch of Hornwort, and a Red Wendtii. I am sure the plants are enjoying the tank as much as the fish are!

Take Care!

Back
Top Bottom