Nitrate problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SKB

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been having to labor over my tanks because for some reason I've been having nitrate problems. They get to 40-80 or higher quicker than a week and I don't understand why.... Exactly....

I reduced the amount of feeding from 3 to 1 times daily. My fish act stressed if I don't feed them at least once a day especially my Africans. Spoiled brats... Lol. Anyways I did that like 2 weeks ago.

Then I thought maybe I'm not cleaning my media enough... So I rinsed it a bit in the tank water I took out. That was 2 cleanings ago.

Now I see something about cleaning your filters too. I thought u were almost never supposed to clean your filter out. Is this my problem?

I just lightly scrubbed my filter out when I cleaned my African tank out, hoping this is the answer. But I'm having the same problem with my SA tank. About to rinse their filter out and change water out. That one isn't as bad because of plants, but it still gets up to 40. Sometimes 80.

How often are you supposed to add new filter media to the existing ones to get bb on them? How often do you clean your filters?

I'm 100% positive I clean the tanks enough of left over food and poo... So

Any help?

Poop can build up in filter so its a good idea to clean that once a month( in the same water from the tank)

Have you tested your tap water for nitrates? I clean my filters, except for the bio-media, every 4 weeks. Nitrates can build up in your filters and even in gravel. Also how old are the tanks? And their ph?

I have a South American Cichlid tank(Severum,geophagus,angel,festivum), and a 20g community (neither have plants) and I do weekly water changes of at least 50%, vacuum the gravel every other week, and thoroughly rinse the media once every 2 months.

You don't need to replace the media (unless you are using active carbon) until the media literally start falling apart. I haven't replaced media in my tanks in well over a year. I use coarse foam, fine foam, and bio rings.

Where these tanks already cycled? This just popes up from nowhere? Are you tanks overstocked? Did you recently move around all the decor, because that can create small cycles in tank. What are you feeding?

My African tank has been set up for 6 months and my other tank has been set up for 1 year. I had changed from gravel to sand with my SA tank prolly ... January. My tank is cycled, I know about all that. I just started happening. My levels were great and I was able to enjoy my fish tanks with regular maintenance. Which is: water changes ever week, biweekly vacs.

So yes it just started happening.... All my other params are great.

I keep meaning to and then I forget to test me two water but, like I said it used to be fine... So I wouldn't think it's that. Would water from my tap change? I get city water.

My African tank is at its max, I understand that but I take care of it... So idk why all the sudden I'd get high nitrates besides the filter thing. I don't think I'm rinsing my filter enough.

My SA tank would be considered overstocked, if my fish were fully grown. It's a 45 gallon with 1 inch firemouth, 2 inch green terror, and 1 1/2 inch jack. Oh and a 1 inch marble sailfin pleco. I'm going to be upgrading obviously... :)

EDIT: forgot about pH. In my African tank my pH is 7.6 and high range is 8.8.

My SA tank my pH is 6.6 and high range 7.8

Also I usually don't replace my media, but I don't think I've been rinsing or cleaning them or the filter itself enough. So my question mainly was to get other people's opinions on how often they do.

Think I just figured out the problem in my SA tank, pulled out a piece of decor that usually I just vacuumed around, and didn't realize it has holes throughout it, when I pulled it out it was full of crap n what not. So were good there I'm sure.

Ill work on rinsing my filters more and report back.

I rinse the inside of the filter itself and the impeller MAYBE twice a year. I don't think that would generate much of a problem. Hmm you have a strange case on your hands.

I rinse the inside of the filter itself and the impeller MAYBE twice a year. I don't think that would generate much of a problem. Hmm you have a strange case on your hands.

Ill report back, I cleaned both my tanks real well tonight, well see

Back
Top Bottom