Nitrate problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jasonrusso

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 150 gallon fowler with a 30 gallon sump. I only have 2 fish (porcupine puffer, Mombassa Lion, and a Golden Dwarf Eel.) I try and try and I just cannot get my nitrates down. The API test always comes up red (80+). I've been using bio-pellets and I got a new skimmer (Reef Octopus xs-200). Iv'e changed 15 gallons a day (that is my max) for 4-5 days straight and I cannot make a dent.

I make my own water (RO/DI unit) and I have tested the water to check if there were nitrates in it, and they tested 0.

I recently removed the sponges from my Eheim return pumps and I am going to start changing my filter socks daily.

Anything I am missing?

You use bio pellets in the sump? Even though you dot have many fish they are messy eaters! How much do you feed and how often?

Do you have a lot of algae? The fact that you're changing the water a bunch and it doesn't even budge makes me skeptical of the tests.

I feed the puffer every day, but he usually eats everything except for the small pieces. I feed the Lion and eel every 2-3 days. I also have hermit crabs and snails.

I have 2 bio pellet reactors in the sump because I can only fit enough pellets for 75 gallons in each. I do have algae, but nothing I would consider terribly excessive. I'll have to pick up a different test kit. Which name brand should I get.

Let me ask this. I have 2 tanks. My other tank is a 10 gallon that I am growing a wartskin angler in. I do a 50% change every 2 weeks (because that's the salt to water ratio I know best). If I test the nitrates in that tank, they are 0. Could my test kit still be suspect? If it was bad, wouldn't all tests show up bad?

Not near as much bio-load in the 10 as the 150.
And you are doing a 50% change in the 10 vs 8.33% in the 150 (must add the sump water in the calculation).

My money is still on the test kit. Get a Salifert and compare.

I have a suggestion... when you change water just a little at a time it doesn't do much. One 50% water change does a ton more good than 5x10% waterchanges. Instead of changing 15g a day, save the water and do a huge w/c.. just a suggestion

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This isn't practical. I have no way to keep 75 gallons heated to 78 degrees.

I understand your predicament w.r.t. the storage of the water, but if you look at the numbers, it's pretty compelling to make the biggest water change you can:

At 80 ppm, a single 50% change gets you to 40. Another 50% drops you to 20.

With a sequence of back to back 10% changes, you get to 72, 65, 58, 52, 47, 43, 38, 34, 31, 28, 25, 23, and then finally 20. Even just to get to the 40-range, it takes 6 PWCs at 10%.

Again, I completely empathize with you w.r.t. the logistics. If you have an LFS that might be able to work with you on it, or a local club with some members that could lend a hand, I'm sure they would all be willing to help.

Back
Top Bottom