Nitrate question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chronos313

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just did a nitrate test since I did my pwc about 2 days ago. Test came up reading under 5ppm I guess. It doesn't give exact specifics. It rates in 5's. it's in the lightest color scale. Should I feel comfortable with the reading. I plan on doing another pwc Sunday just because of Xmas shopping. None of the fish seem stressed. And my GBR and hybrid are seeming like their happy. Especially the hybrid since he is recovering. Any input would be much appreciated.

Chronos313 said:
Just did a nitrate test since I did my pwc about 2 days ago. Test came up reading under 5ppm I guess. It doesn't give exact specifics. It rates in 5's. it's in the lightest color scale. Should I feel comfortable with the reading. I plan on doing another pwc Sunday just because of Xmas shopping. None of the fish seem stressed. And my GBR and hybrid are seeming like their happy. Especially the hybrid since he is recovering. Any input would be much appreciated.

5? Thats great! There are no problems with that

What are the ammonia and nitrite readings? 5 is fine for nitrate, assuming the other 2 are 0.

Both ammonia and nitrite are 0. And like my test told me is that I'm under 5ppm. Which is good I think

Chronos313 said:
Both ammonia and nitrite are 0. And like my test told me is that I'm under 5ppm. Which is good I think

Thats great. I am trying to keep mine under 20 lol

No tricks I just do pwc's every 3 days or so. Other then that. Feed once a day and fast on Sunday's. And once a week they get frozen brine shrimp or blood worms

Chronos313 said:
No tricks I just do pwc's every 3 days or so. Other then that. Feed once a day and fast on Sunday's. And once a week they get frozen brine shrimp or blood worms

Oh 2 a week? I do one, my feedig the same as you also. Whats your tank and stock?

Edit: nvm read your sig

That sig hasn't updated so my stock has changed. But I'll post my stock later gotta be up early

I have 1gbr, GBR hybrid, 6 rummy noses, 5 neon tetras, 6 albino neon tetras 2 albino Cory cats, 1 X-ray tetra, 4 lamp eye tetras, 2 silvertip tetas, and between 10-15 apple snails that were bred in my tank o and 5 zebra danios

Chronos313 said:
I have 1gbr, GBR hybrid, 6 rummy noses, 5 neon tetras, 6 albino neon tetras 2 albino Cory cats, 1 X-ray tetra, 4 lamp eye tetras, 2 silvertip tetas, and between 10-15 apple snails that were bred in my tank o and 5 zebra danios

Hmm thats odd. Your decently stocked and all, but you keep your nitrates low pretty easily. Thanks for telling me, thats interesting

Ya I am impressed myself, sometimes my work schedule impedes my maintenance schedule. I am gonna be switching to sand eventually, I'm just hoping I do it right and don't mess up my cycle. I'm still working on my ten gallon stock list. Haven't had time to talk to my lfs dept manager about special ordering some galaxy rasboras since he hasn't been in when I have. And right now the fish dept is under renovations so it might be some time. I really want to get bigger tanks but apartments have size restricions

Chronos313 said:
Ya I am impressed myself, sometimes my work schedule impedes my maintenance schedule. I am gonna be switching to sand eventually, I'm just hoping I do it right and don't mess up my cycle. I'm still working on my ten gallon stock list. Haven't had time to talk to my lfs dept manager about special ordering some galaxy rasboras since he hasn't been in when I have. And right now the fish dept is under renovations so it might be some time. I really want to get bigger tanks but apartments have size restricions

I know what you mean. School definatly gets in the way, and my parents have size restrictions :D iv got a 40 g fw and a 30g sw, so im going to be up to my neck in water lol. And a 10 g? I just looked up galaxy rasboras, and man now i want some!

Cornstar said:
I just did a reading and mine reads 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. What should I do?

2 ammonia? Is it cycled, or does it hae fish? I see many large water changes in your future!!

It has fishes in there, I believe it is cycled. I am not sure if this could be a reason, but I was trying to overfeed to breed some malaysian trumpet snails that I bought earlier.

Did a 25% pwc today and will do another tomorrow.

Cornstar said:
I just did a reading and mine reads 2ppm ammonia, 0 nitrite and 5ppm nitrate. What should I do?

Large PWC 50% followed by another a few hours later and every time ammonia goes over .25ppm do a PWC. 2ppm is VERY high. Stop over feeding. If you want to breed snails, do it in a bowl.

I just took out a few MTS and placed them into a bow. I checked ammonia again, and it looks between 0.25 and 0.50. Going to skip feeding tomorrow and do some more pwc

Are you shaking your nitrate test solutions very well before using them? I've found that they sometimes wont even work if I don't do that.

aqua_chem said:
Are you shaking your nitrate test solutions very well before using them? I've found that they sometimes wont even work if I don't do that.

+1

I tend to shake it and bang it on my knee a few times and then it's good to go.

If you can just shake it every now and again to prevent it settling to a mass at the bottom.

Hope you get the reading you want!

ya i shook all 3 bottles and banged em on my knee, few weeks back i had a huge ammonia spike, did a 75% pwc and then another the next morning, fixed it right up. im thinking my kid did something cuz she loves "HER" fishies as she tells me daily.

Back
Top Bottom