Nitrate spike.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have been cylcing my 20 gallon for over 2 months. Everything has been good. ammonia cylcing out in a lil over 24hrs. no nitrite.. and usually nitrate is between 5ppm and 10ppm. Tested water this morning as I planned on getting some fish today. Nitrate test tube bright red. Cant tell if its at 40ppm or 80ppm but either way.. what does that mean? and should i hold off on getting fish or will a big water change be sufficiant?

I think your cycle is finished...bright reg is probably over 40 so you need a watcher change....over 50 % is what I would do and then you are good to go.

so u think i can still get fish today??
If I understand correctly, your ammo goes down to 0 in 24 hours, your NitrItes are 0 (blue), and you NitrAtes went up to over 40 or near 80...

Then yes, do a water change to get NitrAtes under 20 and add fish...depending on what you dosed you Ammo to...4 ppm for instance, you can add quite a few fish since they would have a hard time putting that much
Ammo in the water...moderation in everything is the key 8^)

Good Job!

Back
Top Bottom